Search results

1. N

Brocade ICX7150-24 $376

Oh I’m not buying. Posted in case someone is interested.
  2. N

Brocade ICX7150-24 $376

Good deal for new? Provantage
  3. N

Does an 8+ slot PCIe 4x motherboard exist?

Also, there's the Mikrotik 16-port switch which can run with fans off at low utilization, plus the 8-port version which is fanless if you want a quiet switch. The ICX7150 is also fanless for non-POE models if you want a combination of gigabit and 10G.
  4. N

This is a recent example. There's also more systematic performance measurements with DPDK. According to the latter, it looks like roughly speaking you need to dedicate at least one core to each 10G port.
  5. N

LTT actually did this: Watercooling a network switch:eek:
  6. N

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

That mechatronics fan has better specs than the Delta I suggested: lower noise and slightly higher CFM.
  7. N

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

The wire switch needed is to swap the tachometer and ground pins. It's rather easy: use a flat-blade screwdriver or the end of a tweezer to push the pin in, pull the wires out, and reinsert them after swapping. I found that the Delta FFB0412VHN (40x28, 15.8CFM, 9500RPM, 45 dbA) is a reasonable...
  8. N

AOC-SHG3-4M2P

Does anyone have experience with using this card in a regular (non-Supermicro) motherboard that does not support bifurcation? It's an x8 card that supports 4 M.2 slots, the description says M.2 switch, part number ends in a suggestive "P", and seems to have a chip with a heatsink, so I would...
  9. N

Scam Alert ... E5-2667 v4 (Pair)

Ugh, I got that identical message from the same guy as well in a PM. Luckily in my case I had already completed a buy.
  10. N

PCIe GPU and ASUS ASMB9-iKVM

On mine after a little time, the BIOS messages start showing up on the console: eg the POST codes, and any OpROM messages, followed by the "hit DEL to enter setup" etc messages. Have you checked if SOL is enabled in the BIOS settings? I think it was enabled by default on mine.
  11. N

My new 1U power house! ASRock X570 Dual 10GBe, Redundant hot-swappable Titanium PSU, Mellanox ConnectX-3 56GBit VPI

How are fan-speeds and noise like with the 40x56 fans? I'm afraid to get anything but the short-depth 1U chassis because fan noise will be too high for me. For ref, I can live with around 4000-5000rpm idle on the 40x28's.
  12. N

Intel Optane DCPMM (PMEM 100)

Interesting on read vs write. The reason I was interested in it was that this paper for eg measures write latency at 0.4 microseconds, which is almost 50x25x smaller than the latency of the DC P4801x. It seems to be measured in App Direct mode, but without the overhead of filesystem/block layer...
  13. N

WTB: 2x half-height brackets for Intel 905p

Happy to report that the 900p HH brackets do fit the 905p perfectly.
  14. N

Intel Optane P4800x 375GB $375 OBO. Open Box

The title and specs are for the D4800X (dual port drive) but the picture has P4800X (single port drive). Best check with the seller exactly what the product is, not sure about compatibility of dual port drives with regular backplane/connector: i.e. do they operate as PCE 3.0x2 connecting only...
  15. N

Need help: Budget UnRaid server with Core or Ryzen, NVMe...

I think @Techspin needs at least 2 slots for HBA/NIC (if they're not builtin to the board). At least new the X11SCL-F seems a bit cheaper (and it has IPMI builtin already) at $200: mATX with three slots. The P11C-I also only has an x2 2242 M.2 slot vs full-speed/length x4 22110 on the X11SCL-F...
  16. N

Need help: Budget UnRaid server with Core or Ryzen, NVMe...

The X570 Pro WS appears to support out-of-band management via ASUS Control Center Express. Anyone know how that compares to IPMI experience/whether regular IPMI tools actually work with it?
  17. N

Do I need a SAS card?

Interesting. Wiredzone listing says these have LSI SAS3x28 expander chips, and the doc says it does do buffering. Maybe there's some configuration that SMC didn't do on the backplane?
  18. N

Do I need a SAS card?

The PCIe slot will not be the bottleneck. 4-lane SAS3 will be 4x12=48Gbps=4.8GB/s, and I think but not 100% sure that it will actually run at 4x6=24Gbps=2.4GB/s with SATA drives. Some SAS expanders can buffer data from 6Gbps devices to resend it at 12Gbps to the RAID card, but I'm not sure if...
  19. N

PCIe GPU and ASUS ASMB9-iKVM

This is what I'm using (my motherboard has the ASMB8 rather than 9, so YMMV). I use ipmitool to access the BMC. ipmitool -I lanplus -H <bmc IP> -U admin -P <password> sol activate To turn on the server and force boot into BIOS settings (starting from power off), enter in a separate console (or...
  20. N

Do I need a SAS card?

This is actually a question I've had -- with SATA drives attached to an expander, does the HBA/expander (assuming both HBA and expander are SAS3) link still operate at 12Gbps or does it get limited to 6Gbps?