Search results

1. F

A silly Question, is there a better alternative to pfsense for home use?

I did a lot of investigation into this topic about two years ago and ran into three router os's that seemed to work well, Pfsense, ipFire, and Untangle. Pfsense was the most full featured, then ipFire, then Untangle being dead simple. Hope this helps.
  2. F

Sanity Check - High Performance Gaming VM

My understanding is that passing through hardware to a VM requires that the hardware be physically present on the VM host. How does one pass though input devices (mouse, kb, etc.) remotely?
  3. F

Input lag is what has me worries me the most, esp since I like to play WoW and Heroes of the Storm with friends. I am not so much worried by video quality as video cards can be passed through to the VM but latency could make it unplayable fast.
  4. F

Thanks to both of you, especially Chad as these are the kinds of gotchas that cost time and money to figure out.
  5. F

My current gaming machine is getting long in the tooth and I am tempted by the portability of a laptop. However, I know that portability means that I have to compromise on performance. Thus, I come to you all for your advice: Is it possible for me to have a server (currently serving NAS and...
  6. F

Correct way to set up storage for home.

If an article is too much commitment, perhaps we can just start up a discussion thread or two once Server2016 is officially released.
  7. F

Correct way to set up storage for home.

How about doing a write-up on your findings? I am very interested in seeing how 2016 Storage Spaces has been improved compared to 2012r2 and I am sure other readers are as well.
  8. F

A1SAI-C2750 - SATA drives not present on boot after I plug in Intel X520-DA2

The info for the MB is as follows: FW: 01.24 Build Time: 2013-11-29 Bios Version: 1.1a Bios Build Time: 8/27/2015 Let me know if you need me to get bios info on the x520 card. I am also running the DA1 version of the x520 but I'd be really surprised if that was the source of the errors. Let me...
  9. F

A1SAI-C2750 - SATA drives not present on boot after I plug in Intel X520-DA2

I have the same setup as you and it worked flawlessly (currently using it as an esxi 6 server). Could the x520 be the issue? Let me know if you need me to provide you with my config info.
  10. F

Help with a 10G NIC

Thanks for the help. I now feel like an idiot but it solved my problem perfectly...
  11. F

Help with a 10G NIC

I am looking for a 10G NIC (SFP+) with official drivers for Win10 (Intel, Chelsio, etc...). I tried an Intel X520 using Win7 drivers and was able to make it work but am looking for something with official driver support going forward. Thanks for the help.
  12. F

More durable fiber?

What about using an active twinax copper cable? It should handle the abuse better than fiber.
  13. F

Bash Coming to Windows!

Would this make it possible to run ZFS or BTRFS on Windows? If so, a win10 box with, docker support, built in hyper-v, easy management, great Windows driver support, and all the goodness that ZFS can provide would be wonderful as an all-in-one home server.
  14. F

Intel X520-DA1 prices have dropped!

Just put an X520 DA1 into my esxi 6 server and it was plug and play.
  15. F

10G Parts Advice

$550+tax via Amazon with Prime shipping.
  16. F

10G Parts Advice

The netgear switch in my post is a 24 port model and has 4 SFP+ ports. I did not go with it due to the price difference, a used netgear was about what I paid for a new D-link. I think Dell and HP might have what you are looking for but at a significant premium.
  17. F

10G Parts Advice

Went with some Intel X520DA1 nics and SFP+ twinax cable as well as the D-Link switch. Thanks for the advice. Expect to put the project together next weekend.
  18. F

10G Parts Advice

I am planning on going 10G for my home network and looking for some advice. Switches I am considering: Netgear GS728TXS D-Link DGS-1510-28X Dell X1052 I want 4 SFP+ ports. I plan on pretty basic use so am looking for ease of use, power efficacy, noise levels, and cost. Do any of them stand out...
  19. F

Intel Avoton C2750 Benchmarks - Supermicro A1SAi-2750F

I have had the same issue with this board. Was unable to fix it. I will note that I have not tried again since updating to the most recent bios.