Search results

1. S

Testing limits of home Ethernet wiring

Depending on the distance and if you have 2+ lines to the rooms, you can loop it back to the closet and run the tests there. If it works, great. If not, there's more work to do. I don't have any issues running 10Gb over Cat5e on a ~40' run.
  2. S

Simple VLAN question

Actually, you can do quite a bit with "consumer" level devices theses days. As @RTM mentioned, OpenWRT on TL-WR1043ND will let you do what you want if you're just segregating traffic between the two VLAN's. Depending on how many ports you need on VLAN1 and VLAN2, you might need a switch...
  3. S

Should I bother with fiber between floors?

Unless latency is critical for your application, I personally would not. I run Cat5e ~50' and use 10GBase-T transceivers. For less than $100 and ~7W for 2 transceivers, ROI in running fiber is very low for my use case.
  4. S

Beware of EMC switches sold as Mellanox SX6XXX on eBay

FYI: Using initramfs minimal root image, SX6012 can be booted off tftp. No need to flash a minimal linux image onto the device => less likely to brick the device. In fact, initramfs can be used to boot off a usb drive. Currently using SSD with a usb SATA adapter to boot a SX6012 for testing...