Search results

1. B

Fusion ioDrive2 Weirdness with Passthrough...

I have two Fusion ioDrive2 in each of my 8 hosts. They're working fine, for the most part with a couple weird exceptions. Still, they're cheap, even open box/brand new, and they're quick. I picked up four more for my VMware setup and installed them, 2 per host. I've been having issues with them...
  2. B

VMware - Nexus 1000v

Hi Everyone... Is anyone still using these? I dumped these a long time ago because well...for most cases vDS was fine. However, I have a couple of uses for one now on 6.7 and was wondering if there are any gotchas I should be aware of.
  3. B

SR-IOV Question...

I have a VPC on a pair of Cisco N9K servicing my main uplinks for ESXi. The thing I'm wondering...and have never done anything like it without complex VXLAN setups (not supported)...can I still use SR-IOV VFs if the PF is servicing my vDS in a VPC? My thought is no...but just wanted to see if...
  4. B

Three complete failures in a month! Intel SSD Issues...

I've been losing an alarming number of S3610. I've lost three in the last month. Is there something I don't know? I've been seeing reports of these drives dying after a number of idle hours...but would assume the most recent firmware would have taken care of that bug. It's been severely...
  5. B

Mellanox Firmware Expertise Needed :-)

I got a pretty awesome deal on a couple of CX4 cards. Now I know why I did. 1. No label, no MAC, no GUID 2. When I go to try to flash MAC/GUID, I run mst query for the device ID and I only show the pciconf0 device ID, not the pci_cr0. I flashed the most recent firmware using the bus id...
  6. B

...Sigh...ConnectX-3 40Gb Performance....

I've been having one hell of a time since I decided to "upgrade" my hardware at home. I've got fairly small setup...so I figured, what the hell...why not upgrade it all to 40Gb. I bought 10 CX354A-QCBT and flashed them to FCBT. Have DACs for each port and they're attached to two Cisco 9396...
  7. B

Rant about VMware...

I work with VMware everyday at work in an engineering capacity...which at times can be painful, but using it in a home lab is excruciating. I am using equipment, that while old is not that far out of an extended lifecycle, is enterprise grade and was mainstream not that long ago if not still...
  8. B

Cisco Nexus 9396px v01

I've got a 4-switch 3750e stackwise configuration and two Nexus 5010 that are powering my lab at the moment. I've also got CX3 40 GbE cards that are just being used at 10Gb in each box...and I'm consistently saturating my links due to the storage configuration I have. I knew this was going to be...
  9. B

WTB/WTT: 8x Fusion-io ioDrive2 FP brackets

All: I have 8 ioDrive2's with LP brackets. I need at least 4 FP. Anyone willing to trade?
  10. B

Cisco Nexus 5K...good deals on anything better?

I'm a Cisco guy. I always have been. Yet for home labs, I'm getting destroyed by their license restrictions and the fact that even used stuff is insanely expensive. I've got 2 5010s and besides the fact that they're insanely loud, run hot, and suck more power than my disk arrays...they're pretty...
  11. B

Crazy Storage Spaces Question...

So, I've been trying to figure out a problem with my lab design. I currently have a 2-node ESXi vSAN setup with 4x 365GB FIO2, 4x 500GB Cons S.2, and 4x Intel S3610 400GB. Great. But...I'm expanding and based on what I could get my hands on, I will be expanding using Hyper-V and SCVMM. Also...
  12. B

Micron 9100 MAX vs. Intel DC P3608...thoughts?

I'm a fan of Intel products and I'm looking to stick with Intel if I can but the performance I needs means I'm probably going to be looking at the P3608. I have been offered a really good deal on Micron 9100 MAX (edited)...but my experience with them is minimal. I pretty much use Samsung and...