Search results

1. D

Any advice on NAS systems for home use?

Are you looking for easy, or more inclined to self build? If easy, I'd suggest to look at the Synology of QNAP offerings. Synology lags some on network port speeds (mostly at 1Gbit and nothing with 2.5Gbit (yet), unless you get a model with a 10Gbit port (expansion option, or native on some...
  2. D

F5 Networks 10gb SFP+ Transceivers $4 each on ebay

I just picked up 10. I don't really have a need/use for them currently, but at $4/each, it will eventually come in handy (similar to when a while ago those 100Gbit Intel SFPs popped up).
  3. D

Dell R720 just died...

I'd suggest to start with removing both powersupplies, and then insert only the "good" one. The powersupply should light up when plugged in (don't even have to power up the server)...
  4. D

AMD EPYC 7C13 is a Surprisingly Cheap and Good CPU

Didn't this get posted before some of the GTC posts? I distinctly remember reading about this before some of the GTC stuff, but then it suddenly showed up on the front page (as the top/latest article), the article has today's post, but this forum post was posted yesterday afternoon. I didn't get...
  5. D

[FS][US-NJ] RAM Modules , NVIDIA A100 GPU, Intel Consumer CPUs

I sent you a message for 8 of the Samsung 2666 DIMMs.
  6. D

New Micron 7400 PRO 7.68TB NVMe U.3 (7mm) Non-SED Enterprise SSD - $349

And already sold out again since FlorianZ's post.
  7. D

A Compact ASRock DeskMini B660W VMware ESXi Build

Thank you for this post. This feels more like "ServeTheHome" than most of the other posts (which have quite a few good posts, but are more about servers that may be used in home (labs) in 5-10 years). This is a nice little system that indeed will work for ESXi (ProxMox has a much higher list...
  8. D

What happened? Redesign is terrible for me

Page 2 still looks like this to me:
  9. D

What happened? Redesign is terrible for me

I was looking for a recent article that had already rolled off the frontpage, so at the bottom I tried to go to page 2, but all I'm getting is a blank page (well, the basic STH things, but no actual articles). I've also noticed over the last few days that some articles would show in the full...
  10. D

20+ port 2.5G POE managed switch recommendation

The 'bigger' switch vendors (Cisco, HPE, Dell, etc.) are very proud of their >1Gbit switches and want a small fortune for their switches. Edit/complete: The switches that STH has been reviewing are useful, but for your needs, they are too small. Excluding the older/used 10Gbit switches (that...
  11. D

ZFS vs. BTRFS: Safest Choice for Dummies?

Not sure about their servers, but on their SANs, any drive without that specific vendor's firmware will just not work at all. I think Dell had an initial firmware release on one of their raid controllers that locked out non-Dell drives, but they quickly released a firmware that no longer locked...
  12. D

ZFS vs. BTRFS: Safest Choice for Dummies?

Synology uses the filesystem side of BTRFS, but not the raid option: https://kb.synology.com/en-us/DSM/tutorial/What_was_the_RAID_implementation_for_Btrfs_File_System_on_SynologyNAS A few caveats I've run into with ZFS are based on my TrueNAS experience using it as a VM to try to see if I...
  13. D

Malware Bytes flagging on some part of the STH site

Anyone else use Malware Bytes Premium and getting pop-ups from it about stay.decentralappps.com (triple p in there) when they pull up STH or the page auto-refreshes? Malware Bytes is pointing to an IP address that looks to be in the Ukraine. I do use Ghostery to help my security and privacy as...
  14. D

AMD EPYC Genoa Engineering Samples

Do engineering samples do that CPU lock to a vendor? If so, maybe this CPU was used on a non-Supermicro board and is now locked to whichever vendor's brand motherboards?
  15. D

CWWK/Topton/ N95/N100/N200/N305 quad NIC router 5 BIOS-error-beeps and black screen error

Is there a pattern to the beep codes? Having worked on Dell desktops 15+ years ago, I still remember the "1-3-2" beepcode meaning there's a RAM issue. If your beepcode follows a certain pattern, that may help narrow in on the issue.
  16. D

[W] [US-TN] Dell MD3620F or comparable SFF SAN

Keep in mind that Dell MD arrays (like most enterprise (even entry level like the MD)) are locked to only support certified drives. This means they need to have the Dell Enterprise sticker on them, and their Dell part number must be in the MD3-series support matrix. Equivalent retail drives...
  17. D

New 2023 N-Series Gracemont CPUs Are a HUGE Upgrade

If this CPU had about 8 more PCIe lanes (16 total (2 x 4 lanes for NVMe cache SSDs and 8 lanes for a PCIe slot)), it would be a great option for NAS boxes that are used for streaming video (e.g. Plex).
  18. D

VMKLinux drivers

ESXi 6.7 went end of general support last month. The 2023-11-15 is for general guidance. This is mostly just relevant if you want to open a support case with VMware. The end of general support means that no more security updates, fixes and the likes are to be expected. I'd suggest to just...
  19. D

ESXi 7.x/8.x HBA/Storage question.

If you don't need any redundancy, you could do a 1-host vSAN via CLI. But 1 SSD will be 'lost' to being a cache drive (should use a higher DWPD type drive (preferably 3-10 DWPD)), and if 1 drive fails, assume you lost everything. Creating a vSAN Cluster without a vCenter Server | MrVSAN -> use...
  20. D

FS: Xeon Silver 4114 & misc items [price drop]

That Xeon 4114 @ $250 may be a tad high priced as there are 5 or 6 on Ebay for just under US$150.