Search results

1. T

SOLD [FS] NETGEAR ProSAFE XS708T 8-Port 10-Gigabit switch

SOLD Hi all, I'm downsizing, listing this for a fair price to move quickly. No issues at all, and I replaced the single fan inside with a quiet Noctua version. Includes power cord and rack mount ears. Price $250 + $20 shipping to CONUS (only). Local pickup near ZIP 75248 also welcome.
  2. T

Switches that support 10Gb over cat. 5e cables

You can add Netgear M5300-28G3 to the list. That’s what I had connected to my Netgear XS708T with about 5m of Cat5e (the longest I could dig up).
  3. T

Netgear Orbi Pro WiFi 6 Doubles Previous-Gen Speeds

Nice review! I’ve been using the first-gen Orbi for several years now. One invaluable component of my current system is the Orbi outdoor satellite. I understand that it’s not compatible with this new version, but it would be nice if they announced if they’ll have a Wi-Fi 6 version, eventually.
  4. T

10 GB switch - questions

Good news, I tried a regular Cat5 cable, just for you :D The longest I had was about 5m, but you can see it negotiates 10G. EDIT: oops, I realized I took a picture of my M5300, but the XS708T is the other connected device (at 10G).
  5. T

10 GB switch - questions

I was hunting for a 24+ port switch with similar requirements as you. I ended up with the Netgear M5300-28G3, however the fans are a bit noisy. Still TBD if I’ll keep or try to find a replacement. Noctua fans (x4) I’ve tried to swap just don’t work. However, I also bought the Netgear XS708T to...
  6. T

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

For fans of the Lenovo ”tiny” models: ThinkCentre M710q, ThinkStation P330 Tiny, etc.. You may read about capability of adding a Thunderbolt 3 PCIe card to the P330. I goofed around and spent way too much time (and money?) figuring out how to order one of these and install it in a Think Station...
  7. T

Hoping for a low cost switch with strong backplane, 4x1Gb, 4x10Gb and decent LACP handling

I’m definitely a newbie in this area, but the Netgear M5300-28G3 seems to meet all your requirements save one: Only two 10GbE ports, although they can be 10GBase-T or SFP+. I got mine on eBay for $200, there’s one left.
  8. T

Recommendations for 1U lab setup - experimenting with containers, etc.

Ya, like this would be awesome! https://www.servethehome.com/intel-nuc9vxqnx-nuc-review-xeon-quartz-canyon/ ^^ But whew, the price! So I made a decision/purchase, trying to stay close to a $600 budget. I ended up with a Lenovo ThinkStation SFF P330 w/Xeon E-2144G. I have a 500GB Samsung EVO...
  9. T

You really got me thinking/looking at consumer CPUs :cool: Anyone have thoughts about either one of these two units (price ~$590-$610 each) for my use case? Keeping in mind, it would be strictly for fooling around, probably will put Hyper-V on it, containers, and fooling around with Plex and...
  10. T

That makes a lot of sense. Maybe I’ll stick with a workstation setup for now. Funny enough, I almost pulled the trigger on a T5810 that Dell had on clearance for $449 earlier today. It had a 6-core E5-1650 V4, 32GB RAM and a Quadra M2000 4GB. Only lasted for a few minutes on the Dell site. I...
  11. T

Good point. Is there a sweet spot in the Intel consumer line, Skylake based or newer, that would be good for Docker?
  12. T

Valid question. Since I have some minor experience with Xeons, I thought those would be a better starting point assuming I want to fool around with Hyper-V or similar.
  13. T

Thanks for the response - good questions! Honestly, I’m a pretty light BI and Plex user. No more than 2 BI cameras and 2 Plex streams at any given time. I agree with your BI assessment, that’s why I have it on a standalone Dell T-30 box, where it seems to do just fine. Although I had to fool...
  14. T

Hi all, I'm brand new here, so please take it easy :) So I'm looking for a low-cost way to learn more about hypervisors and running a few apps in containers, and I figure it might be more fun if I start with fresh hardware to play around on. Currently, I have 3 apps that I run 24/7, including...