Search results

1. X

HGST Flashmax iii 2.2TB ssd $128

I do realize the PCI-e SSD is not the same as NVME. I currently have a PCI-e to M.2 adapter card installed to run the 500GB NVME drive. My older board doesn't have native M.2 support. I do like Samsung NVME drives - got a link to where you got yours or tips on where I can snag one? I'd be...
  2. X

HGST Flashmax iii 2.2TB ssd $128

Missed this one - But I'm looking to pickup a larger SSD for a cache drive on my unRAID box. I see the same seller has the FlashMAX II version (VIR-HW-M2-LP-2200-2B) for about the same price... I don't immediately see anything in the specs that scares me off... I'm swapping out a PCI-e card w/...
  3. X

Best practice or toolkit for estimating cable run lengths?

Yup. Buy More boxes then the basic math tells you. There's nothing more frustrating than spending hours pulling 2 at a time to a far corner for multiple cameras/APs/Etc, especially if your route includes drops along the way that you could have pulled at the same time. But that's a time...
  4. X

Small Passthrough PoE switch?

Thank you! "PoE Extender" was I guess the search key I wasn't getting. That has now turned up a bunch of options as low as about $30. I will poke about the Amazon and see what might work for me. Thanks!
  5. X

Small Passthrough PoE switch?

Running cameras in my place and I pulled 4 cables to the front of the house, but I'm realizing that I should have pulled 5... It's a real pain (far end of garage, up to second floor, through attic, down exterior wall into permanent storage cabinets, and finally out into covered roof space with...
  6. X

Perc 6/I upgrade *ADDED PICS*

Ok that is excellent info. I was trying to figure out what I needed to search for to find the correct cable. All I could find was auctions for the 6/I controller with the cable and the asking prices are ridiculous for very outdated hardware... For the $12 it'll cost me to try, I think I'll...
  7. X

Perc 6/I upgrade *ADDED PICS*

I've got a pair of old Dell PowerEdge 2950 servers that have the Perc 6/I card installed. They're using a ribbon type cable to connect to the backplane. Aside from the 2GB drive size limitation, there's no real issues with the servers so I'm wondering if I can install a slightly newer h200 or...
  8. X

Nytro 5000 1.92Tb XP1920LE30002 $199.99

From the comments above it seems that the 1.6TB variant runs cooler/slower as well so that might be calculated into the endurance estimations
  9. X

Supermicro 846 drive temps vs fan speed

Well I tried the tape thing and it doesn't seem to have made much(if any) difference. Which is honestly surprising. So I've had the fans running at full speed and that's keeping the drives cooler for now, but I'd really love to get the speeds controlled. I googled and found a bunch of info on...
  10. X

Alright well I don't have a bag of dummy units but I do have a bunch of scrap wood. Little unorthodox but maybe I'll cut some blocks the same size as fake drives and pop em in.
  11. X

No, that's why I'm asking about blocking them off. Didn't realize there was actual dummy drive units that could be put in. So I guess I'm on the right track then
  12. X

I am running an 846 chassis with 10x 3.5" 8TB drives installed currently. This will grow over time I'm sure. When I do parity checks/builds or large file transfers, the drives get above 50degC and I get warnings. I have the chassis fans set to optimal (x9srl-f mobo) to keep the fan noise...
  13. X

WiFi Mesh for coworker

I am not sure what he's using, but I'm betting it's probably a standard issue ISP consumer unit. I did a little digging around and found the UMA-D antenna so I think I'm gonna suggest he pickup a pair of UAP-AC-M units, and then if the signal isn't working well enough, upgrade to the UMA-D on...
  14. X

WiFi Mesh for coworker

Ah yes, I expected my cell phone wasn't as accurate as the APs would be for a survey, but to do the survey with the APs, I'd have to get him to buy them. So I'm hopeful that anyone with suggestions will bring any obvious flaws to my attention before I get him to buy hardware that won't work...
  15. X

WiFi Mesh for coworker

Well that's troubling. Holy crap that's a lot of devices for lots that size. I wouldn't have expected that, I'm in town on much smaller lots and I only see about 6 SSID (other than mine). Are you using a specific tool for the site survey? I downloaded an app (WiFi Analyzer) on my android...
  16. X

WiFi Mesh for coworker

The bridge function is probably secondary currently. He's really just looking to have basic wifi work at the shop and in the suite above. That was an interesting read. It's a couple years old so maybe the FW is fixed again. Thanks for the input. Any obvious concerns with running two of the...
  17. X

WiFi Mesh for coworker

I've got a co worker that lives in a fairly big place out of the city. I told him about my ruckus APs and the wildly improved coverage in my house and now he's deputized me to get him fixed up. He's got a shop/outbuilding about 300ft from the main house. Currently he's using ethernet over...
  18. X

Canada WTB MCP-290-00053-0N

That was very informative. So it's definitely the 53 rails I'm looking for.
  19. X

Canada WTB MCP-290-00053-0N

Sounds good. If Vangoose can set me up this week that would definitely be preferable, but if not I'd certainly consider paying the shipping. Any idea what it might cost? Sorry for the noob question but my googling has lead me to believe that the 53 rails are the way to go for the 846...
  20. X

FS.com SFP+ Transceiver and Brocade ICX6450 Switch Question

Thanks! I was sure I'd checked Amazon already but guess not. Still a bit pricey compared to the US, but way better for right now.