Search results

1. teafarer

SK Hynix P31 Gold: ridiculously-low pricing at MicroCenter (USA_Brick-n-Mortar)

The P31s are decent performers for Gen3 and one of the top energy-efficient options for the category, which makes them great for battery-powered stuff like laptops. SK Hynix SSDs have always been rock solid for me (SATA 2.5", nvme Gen 3, etc) They typically run a bit pricier than their...
  2. teafarer

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

Windows, specifically is where I had the problem. That machine never got Linux, so I hadn't tested it there. It would not surprise me if Linux had no problem and Windows did, however. Though Linux is a bit tangential- as people with Windows have seen both situations (works fine or doesn't work...
  3. teafarer

Wow, that's interesting. Maybe my impression is wrong and I somehow just experienced the same problem as siwyboy... interesting that the experience seems very different case-by-case (since many posts online discuss having the same problem...). I wonder if there's some other factor at play. Just...
  4. teafarer

I think the HD 530 and similar Intel iGPUs really struggle with 4k 60hz. While technically "supported" by the video outputs, I think the GPUs are pretty weak in terms of pushing that many pixels at once, even in 2D situations like Windows UI. Judging from some online searches, it seems this...
  5. teafarer

Tiny/Mini/Micro PC experiences

I'm curious if anyone has had any luck with the USFF Dell/Lenovo/HP machines in converting them to fanless or replacing existing fan with a low-noise one? My HP mini, even at idle, has a noticeable fan noise in my quiet home. Plus, modding/moving to a fanless case could be a fun exercise too...
  6. teafarer

Office/Computer Desk chair recommendations

Just an update on the chair I got from Husky Office. After about 9-10 months of constant daily use the gas lift failed (although I am under the rated limit, it may not have been rated for as many hours as I put into it), though kudos to them for honoring the warranty and having easy/good...
  7. teafarer

News Consumption Survery

Most of my news consumption now is via a couple of email newsletters that summarize things or through aggregation websites. Basically ways where I can get a general sense of the state of things without going in deep unless I really want to do so. I've yet to find a news source (even ones I...
  8. teafarer

Wow those M75q's seem like a great deal. About half of the new price from Lenovo for that model. I'm tempted to get one as an HTPC/Living Room/Media system, because it's so nice and compact, and should have a decent integrated GPU (Vega 11, I believe?) for those purposes, and maybe even light...
  9. teafarer

DDR3 DDR4 RAM price trends thread.

Would really like to find some desktop DDR4 at those kind of prices. At $71 for a 32GB stick I'd upgrade my desktop PC to 64GB in a heartbeat. (PC is Skylake CPU, DDR4 2133/2400)
  10. teafarer

Office/Computer Desk chair recommendations

I'm trying out a chair from Husky Office which claims to make big & tall chairs that are actually built well. Most other chairs I've run into in the past seem to fail, despite their claimed "weight limits" and so forth. Hoping this chair ends up differently. It does feel like it's built better...
  11. teafarer

HP ThinClient T620 GX-415GA 4-core (standard/slim, not Plus) -- $25/$35

Those of you that were able to grab these at the $25/$35 price, did you get a power adapter or do you have a good source for getting a compatible one? Only listings at those prices I'm seeing now are with no AC adapter (plenty of quantity available for good price, I think they're mostly...
  12. teafarer

So it seems its the actual mSATA drives themselves, not some odd issue with the mSATA interface / IO system on the boards? Curious to see if a new / replacement mSATA fixes the issue or if USB will be necessary. (Also, I didn't see anything really rule-wise about there being an issue with...
  13. teafarer

Is this for the T620's specifically? I'm considering buying one now, as my RPi that I use for Pi-Hole just tanked. But the idea of the boot device disappearing on power loss is concerning. I still need to troubleshoot more as to what happened to the RPi- might be a simple re-install, but it was...
  14. teafarer

Thanks for the insight. Half of a Q6600 or equivalent to a modern Atom, doesn't seem so bad. Though, wow 15w vs 4w on the Atom comparison, haha. I think that tells me that it's probably close to a Pi3 in performance and probably way behind a Pi4. But at least it gives me an idea of the use cases...
  15. teafarer

I suppose my use case will never require heavy CPU usage anyway (would use it for Pi-hole style blocking + dedicated Unifi controller, maybe other light stuff, like an internal FTP for testing). I guess I mainly just wanted an idea of if going from an RPi3b to one of these would technically be...
  16. teafarer

Curious about the performance of one of these vs. an RPi3 or RPi4. It may seem odd, but I almost prefer this form factor over an RPi and I like that these are also fanless. Difficult to compare ARM vs x86 in benchmarks or find any kind of meaningful comparisons.
  17. teafarer

liteon m.2 sata 128GB for $8 shipped

The SATA drives + inexpensive enclosures would make great high-performing cheap flash drive substitutes. Might have to buy a few of these and a few enclosures and stop using regular flash drives.