Search results

1. S

EXPIRED Neat GPS clock SFP module - $20

I tested my module in 2x SFP switches that didn't have any fans. It was hit or miss to get the GPS lock, mostly with no sats detected at all. I found if it did obtain a lock, it would drop out early afternoon (in my garage). Thought this might be a temperature related thing so I popped it in my...
  2. S

Q670 with vPRO NAS Board!

OP seems to enjoy dropping pictures with no context and leaving. this is the 2nd instance
  3. S

[Need advice] Looking for a cheap server to replace raspberry pi 3b+

pretty much any mini PC has stuff that's a few generations old that will be 10x faster than the Pi, more stable, and consume about the same amount of power. examples in the $150 price range (double-check they come with power adapters): M720q (intel 8th gen) - Lenovo ThinkCentre M720q Intel...
  4. S

Enterprise SSD/HDD price increases :-(

It's negligible and skylake is where the power consumption starts ticking back up. For me, v4 is the sweet spot in the performance/cost/idle power balancing act. I have built 2x different boxes (only 1x 2690v4 each), one Dell R630, another whitebox R630 equivalent that idled around 45W. Haven't...
  5. S

yesterday I also got it working on a raspberry pi 3b that only has software timestamps (but it does have software TX timestamp): austin@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a Linux raspberrypi 5.15.32-v7+ #1538 SMP Thu Mar 31 19:38:48 BST 2022 armv7l GNU/Linux austin@raspberrypi:~ $ ethtool -T eth0 Time...
  6. S

Brocade ICX-6450-48p POE question

pretty sure those figures include 100% POE utilization. I have a single POE device (Ruckus R710 AP) on mine, and 20ish ports (no SFP+ transceivers), and it's in the 60-70W range
  7. S

Wiggling the module helped. Not sure what's going on what that - likely something loose internally. Using only the PTP functionality, I was able to get a proxmox box synchronized to +/- 100 ns of the Nokia OSA 5401 module relatively easily, with periods of +/- 10 ns. On the OSA 5401, I set the...
  8. S

got mine to work as expected in a different switch and got a fixed location (albeit with a not great accuracy compared to some other survey-in stuff I've recently done). I haven't really use PTP. in case we don't get NTP - what's the process for getting other devices to pick up/read/use the PTP...
  9. S

well that kind of defeats the purpose of a super accurate GPS module in SFP form factor, at least for homelab purposes.
  10. S

what version are you on? I apparently don't have NTP server available that's mentioned in the application note. running the tree command doesn't show anything NTP related. ADVA--> show info INFO: OSA 5401 SW version: 9.1.7-008 HW version: 2.02 Factory FPGA: 0x8E84C60D Applic1...
  11. S

ok so a somewhat generic SMA GPS antenna, like the two I tested. need to try wiggling mine
  12. S

What antenna are you using? wonder if its a grounding issue or something that wiggling fixes
  13. S

I haven't been able to get mine to pick up any sats. From the base menu, there is an antenna issue (shown in the 'info' command): Antenna: missing Alarm(s): Antenna not connected or with overcurrent Same result with two different antennas that work with other u-Blox and the...
  14. S

GPS specs seem pretty comparable to a NEO-M8T. These receivers are usually >$20 by quite a bit. I recently got a LEA-6T up and running as a timing module, with position determined via survey-in to a couple centimeters to join my other PPS projects - Microsecond accurate NTP with a Raspberry Pi...
  15. S

N100 board suggestions

I did a bit of research comparing N100 to Pentium gold 8505 before I found a good deal on a N100 2 bay NAS thing. Pentium 8505 gold has much better speed/scores, takes a little more power, but allows up to 20 PCIe lanes. In some cases, it is also cheaper than N100.
  16. S

CISCO UCS C240 M4 12LFF 2x E5-2680V4

Hard to tell considering you haven't said what your current HBA is
  17. S

Epyc Genoa Build Advice

What does Ansys say about running Ansys on EPYC Genoa? I'm assuming you've already checked it's compatible. They'll likely have recommended hardware. Why have you chosen server hardware instead of a more workstation oriented platform (Threadripper)? Threadripper is 20-25% faster for both single...
  18. S

Pitiful NVMe performance with PM983 ZFS pool

Why are you using bs=4k with a pool that has recordsize=128k? If you expect the majority of your writes to be 4k, set the recordsize to something smaller than 128k
  19. S

Inspur-branded LSI9300-8i for $50

That would make sense. It was a desktop/consumer platform with the pluggable power cables that IIRC were fed by the SATA power connectors. I'll look into it, thanks for the tip!
  20. S

Inspur-branded LSI9300-8i for $50

Mine wouldn't detect a SAS3 SSD, but worked fine with SAS2 SSDs (connected at same time). haven't attempted to look into it yet. got the card a few months ago