Search results

1. B

Xeon W-3200 processor in C622 motherboard?

My current home server is a couple of years old, built on an early Xeon Scalable (FCLGA3647) in a C622 based motherboard. I have seen some decent prices on Xeon W-3200 processors (also FCLGA3647) with the same core count but 1GHz+ higher base clock speeds. The W-3200 processors are intended...
  2. B

Battery backup for Fios ONT (Xtreme Power Conversion J60)

Hopefully this pointer will help someone facing the same challenge - a couple of years ago, I realized that I wanted a battery backup for the ONT terminating fiber service to my house. I had about half an hour runtime for the entire equipment rack (~500W) but wanted to take it further and it...
  3. B

E5-1650 v4 (hexacore, 3.6GHz base, 4.0GHz turbo) for under $200

Intel Xeon E5-1650 V4 (SR2P7) 3.60GHz CPU | Certified Genuine | eBay The price is low enough to swap out the "Confidential" E5-2667v4 in my firewall for one of these. Curious how the higher base clock (3.6GHz vs 2.1GHz) but fewer cores (6 vs 8) will affect overall performance across four 10...
  4. B

Request for feedback: AMD EPYC under I/O load (PCIe utilization)

I am going to pose an honest question and request honest feedback, without this turning into a flame war. My Intel 2nd Gen Scalable on an X11SPi-TF home server suffered an unexpected catastrophic fault (CATERR) this weekend. Main board displayed the BMC booting up, reset, turn on without...
  5. B

iStarUSA enclosure quality

A couple of months ago, I had the brilliant idea to consolidate several personal servers into one for ease of maintenance. I replaced two 9207-8i controllers with a 9305-24i (works great with FreeBSD 12, by the way) and planned to move the existing array into an external enclosure using adapter...