Search results

1. F

Questions for those who have moved proxmox hosts from old iron to mini pcs

I've got an r730xd with dual cpu's (14 cores each, 2.6ghz base, 3.5ghz turbo, 135w tdp each), 256gb of ram, and 14x16tb 3.5" drives, and some nvme in a pcie carrier card. It eats a lot of power (i know about 80 watts are the drives alone). I run about 11 vm's, 3 windows servers, 2 windows...
  2. F

Transceiver stopped working in an ex4300, but works in a different switch!

I have an ex4300 switch, in it i have the Juniper EX-UM-4X4SFP add on card to give me 4x sfp+ ports. I had an aquantia aqs-107 transceiver that worked perfectly for a couple years. then one day it just stopped working, i assumed the transceiver died. What's strange is i had some other...
  3. F

R730xd raid on rear flexbay, passthrough on front bay?

I just got an r730xd. I want to add a mid plane to it. I want to have the os drives in the rear flex bay and just be a hardware raid. I want to virtualize freenas and pass through the front drives and mid drives to vmware or proxmox. Is it possible to plug the rear flex bay into the onboard...
  4. F

hardware to run pfsense vpn at 1gbps?

fiber is coming to my area and it's already at my mom's where i run a backup node. the slower link (hers) is 1 gig symmetric, and it's all over the same carrier. Because I can (not because i need to), i want to be able to max that out over the vpn link when doing backups and what not. What...
  5. F

SOLVED: trying to run 2.5g multi-gig to an older juniper ex4300

So it seems like some of the 10gbe sfp+ modules will negotiate at 2.5g on the copper end, but present at 10gb to the switch. I've seen some folks say it works fine and others say performance sucks due to the switch trying to send packets at 10gb, but the module only working at 2.5gb and i...
  6. F

Upgrading to 40gbE need some help

I Just ordered an EX-4300-48P switch with 40gbE uplinks, but i'm a little confused as I've never worked with 40gbE before. The mellanox cards I can find are only qsfp not qsfp+ which the switch I just ordered is... is that an issue? Since I will not be using infiniband, do I care about the...
  7. F

Help me choose a switch or two!

The use will be for my home lab, so trying to balance budget, features, performance. I also want gear that's used in industry for the learning experience as well. So for example Ubiquiti is out. Here are my requirements: L3 switch (mainly for vlan routing, i don't use bgp) POE (i have...