Search results

1. P

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I never got to properly say thank you for this answer! Here are some follow-up questions if I were to stack 3x 6450 switches: 1) Can one of the stacking links be aggregated while the others are not? 2) If I stack in a non-aggregated ring config, will that increase the overall bandwidth capacity...
  2. P

Setting up a 10gig interbuilding network at home

How about FreeBSD? The router is running pfsense. Found conflicting info when I tried to look around for an answer. I'am quite sure that the x550 and x710 based cards support multi-gig speeds while x520 and x540 does not. However, my ISP only provides 1gig, so anything else is just to...
  3. P

Do you have a good NIC to recommend? I am very new to all SFP stuff, but from what I gather compatibility between brands and modules can be a PITA. I was looking at the intel NICs due to stable drivers, but they seems to be quite picky... tbh I am at a loss atm...
  4. P

Cool! I will think about it, but I prefer to have my router/firewall as a standalone box. Several reasons. 1) I have the suff, and it is much cheaper to reuse what I already have, compared to get new nics, DACs etc. (Getting a X10SDV-8C or similar with SFP+ instead is not cheap) 2) Because...
  5. P

Is there a particular reason for this? Could I not just keep the WAN traffic on an isolated VLAN through the switches ending in on my "WAN" interface on the pfsense box, pfsense doing pfsense things and then forward the traffic to the "LAN"-side interface? I understand this adds a little bit of...
  6. P

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I have been skimming through this thread 400+pages, but thus far the answer has eluded me... (Sorry if this has been brought up before...) On a pair of 6450-24, can I use 2x of the 10gig links as stacking and LAG at the same time for a 20 gig connection, or is stacking limited to only one port...
  7. P

Hi all! I am very green in enterprise gear networking with VLANs and all but figured it is going to be a fun project with much learning involved. My plan is to wire two buildings (garage and main living) on my property together with 10gig networking over single mode fiber (for futureproofing...
  8. P

Multi building 10GbE setup at home

Do you guys have any recommendations on what type of switch I should look at (or stay away from)? Noise is a concern in the main living area. I was thinking on two Qnap qsw-m408 with a mix of SFP+/RJ45 combo ports as well as 8x 1gig RJ45 ports. One in the main house and one in the garage. They...
  9. P

Well I suppose fiber it is for the inter-building link then. Electrical isolation is a good thing. That is a very good point. My WAN connection comes in to my main building. If I go with managed switches, would it be possible to run that in the same fiber via VLAN link to my garage, or would I...
  10. P

Hi! tl;dr I need advice on finding new switches and if I should run fiber or cat6a copper cable between buildings. I have recently moved to a new house in southern Sweden with a separate garagae/workshop that intend to partly use as networking closet with my TrueNAS, pfSense, VM-host etc. and...