Search results

1. J

Designing 1U/2U/3U/4U rackmount server chassis - these will be going to production - looking for input, ideas, and feedback!

I can confirm the DeepCool AK620 CPU cooler (with the cooler tower covers removed and fans lowered a notch or two) does fit in the Sliger 4U rackmount case. However, there is zero space between the lid. So I would not set anything on top of the case that would apply pressure in the area above...
  2. J

Designing 1U/2U/3U/4U rackmount server chassis - these will be going to production - looking for input, ideas, and feedback!

You're absolutely right. I abandoned the idea because of this. Here's the "almost" ideal backplane for my use... It's a "dumb" backplane, no chips or major electronic components that constantly consume energy for functions I would never use. The spacing between the rows would accommodate the...
  3. J

Great considerations. Fan exhaust has more directional flow requiring more distance to sort into different airflow paths than the intake side. Could either build a baffle to move the fans behind the drives, or an easier (less compact) solution is to move the drives further back from the drives...
  4. J

In addition to using a CX4150a/i for HTPC, I'm considering modifying another CX4150a/CX4170a/CX4200a for NAS. I've lost my appeal for backplanes in a 24/7 NAS because they consume energy, require caddies, restrict air flow, and I'm at the point I've no need for hot swap capability. The open...
  5. J

Ah I see your point. Since the design intends to be compatible with water-cooling, the 3x 120mm fans can't be separated anyhow, and so may as well go with 3x 140mm. However, because the fans are "inset" into the enclosure in this design, at 3x 140mm in a 4U, the perimeter is encroaching on the...
  6. J

The Sliger rack mount enclosures are the best designs I've seen after searching for years. If you're planning to do a Sliger 5U, I find that 2x 140mm fans spaced apart is the most quiet configuration in a 5U HTPC home build I did recently. I've since converted that project to strictly NAS and...
  7. J

If you're going for quiet, even 3x 120mm fans in a 4U is really pushing it as far a noise. Although fans blow air axially, they pull air entirely from the sides, or perimeter. There's a few quick and easy experiments to observe this. First, cover the intake of an open fan with a flat surface...
  8. J

LSI 9206-16e controller - Runs fine but with errors in Windows Event Viewer

It was the adapter. I replaced the card and no more errors.
  9. J

LSI 9206-16e controller - Runs fine but with errors in Windows Event Viewer

I have a 9206-16e controller I use for SATA storage on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit for JBOD movie storage. Everything appears to be running fine. Connected drives are recognized in Windows and have been running perfectly fine for about a year. But then I noticed that all along, Windows Event Viewer...