Search results

1. T

Mikrotik crs510_8xs_2xq_in switches - anything to be aware of?

No issues with QSFP28 ports, but i had initially issue with AOC break out cable QSFP28 (100 Gbps) -> 4xSFP28 (4x25 Gbps). Basically issue was port 1 and 3 on the cable were not wired correctly (cable was bought from fs.com) so i had to return it and then i bought SFP28 modules and fiber break...
  2. T

Mikrotik crs510_8xs_2xq_in switches - anything to be aware of?

I have good experience with mine already for 1.5 yrs. I use it with QSFP28 SR4 and CWDM4 modules from different brands (FS, Kaiam). It is not picky based on my experience. it may require manual config of the speeds and encodings (fec91 for 100gigs). With latest firmware they fixed fan speeds to...
  3. T

$50: 1.9TB Micron 9200 Pro with Adapter

ah sh*t...that was a miss...up to 16.8 PB endurance...
  4. T

Broadcom 57810 cards - latest drivers?

i guess there is :)
  5. T

Best SFP+ 10 Gbps Card?

i have DELL 57810 SFP+ card which runs on PCIe 2.0 x2 lanes :) Max speed i am able to get is around 700-750 MB/s.
  6. T

HP 640sfp28 aka Mellanox4 Lx MCX4121A-ACAT $29

yes, there is. I had two one to each other in desktop case with "good" airflow" and i was getting temp warnings. These cards run pretty hot. At 105°C you get temp warning, at 120°C you get hard shutdown. I was finally able to stabilize my temps via adding 12cm fan located 10cm from the card and...
  7. T

Where do you store your lab equipment?

I have something like mini data center in my room where i spent most of the time during the day. I don't use rack mountable equipment due to noise / heat reasons, just few switches and HP Z-class workstations. The noise is bit of concern but nothing too bothering. The biggest issue is the dust...
  8. T

SAS Disk SMART

Hi tcpluess, yes, correct :) https://sg.danny.cz/sg/sg3_utils.html
  9. T

SAS Disk SMART

it is clearly visible sg_logs command gives more details compared to smartctl, even with -x option. Everyone can draw their own conclusions. For me smartctl is for sata drives and sg_logs for sas :)
  10. T

SAS Disk SMART

SAS disks actually have much more statistical data if you use the right command :) try sg_logs command (linux, freebsd). E.g. sg_logs -a /dev/da0
  11. T

High temp reported on MCX4121A-ACAT

Update on my "issue", finally i was able to figure out why one of the cards has ~30°C higher temp. The difference is caused by the PCIe slot. The card with higher temp is installed in PCIe 3.0 x8, electrical x8 The card with lower temp is installed in PCIe 3.0 x8, electrical x4. When i...
  12. T

Help understanding 10G Compatability, did I buy the wrong thing?

This one is fibre channel HBA, not ethernet :) It is completely different "animal", it has nothing in common with ethernet cards.
  13. T

Bricked Oracle F40 card but I have another working one.

i assume you performed completed power cycle (power off and power on), right?
  14. T

One more thing, i found also the error logs from the time when i bought the card (Jan 2023) and even then i was getting temp related warning, which means back then temp report should have been around 105°C (that's the temp when warning message is generated in system log). I don't think if real...
  15. T

yes, i forgot to mention that. When i swap the cards, situation stays the same. The card which is "overheating" still reports temp over 100°C. Non-overheating card reports normal temps ~75°C
  16. T

I've re-pasted the card. There was some pink-ish paste, cleaned it up and used new "some brand" paste :) (i think cooler master brand). no change... dev.mce.0.hw_temperature: 102000 dev.mce.1.hw_temperature: 102000 dev.mce.2.hw_temperature: 73000 dev.mce.3.hw_temperature: 73000
  17. T

yes, that will be next thing i will check, but i need to have downtime for the machine, so it won't be today :)
  18. T

I've measured temps of the running system with thermal imager and temps are similar (+/- 1 to 2°C) Card 1 had temp on heat sink 65°C, card 2 - 64°C. So it seems card 1 temp sensor is showing wrong temp of 105°C Clearly visible are the sfp+ modules (red on the left), their temp was around 46°C.
  19. T

Intel X520-DA1 prices have dropped!

no free return where i live, anyway, i will keep the module, price is too good for it, 6 euro with delivery :) i guess it was mistake on seller side to describe product as 'nic + sfp' but it was limited offer and only 1 per customer so i thought - what a bargain. Of course this is aliexpress and...