Search results

1. J

Dell R720XD - what software should I install - Windows or ???

Interestingly enough, if I enter the service tag on the Dell site, it reads the current configuration, and also supplies the original configuration when sold. This says the system had E5-2620 v2's in it then, so I think I am good to run v1 and v2 processors, on this motherboard, although...
  2. J

Oooooohhhh, rats. It looks like v1 of the E5-26x0-2640 range of Xeon's only support memory speeds up to 1333, you need a 2650 or above to support 1600 - a limit if the Intel CPU, not the memory or the motherboard (other than overclocking) etc. Oh well, I only paid $20 more for the ram and the...
  3. J

Yup, only those 8 sticks in the machine, plus 16 empty cards in the unused slots. I just saw a comment on using "Optimizer" mode, so I am off to research that now. Additional info, system reports each as single rank, voltage is 1.5V. Modules are in sockets A1-A4 and B1-B4, i.e. all the white...
  4. J

Okay, thanks. I got the system running, and can log into IDRAC. :) I have updated to Bios 2.7.0, and the other updates it recommended. I can see the two drives I have added so far, but having removed 2 of 4Gb 1333MHz memory cards and installed 8 of 8Gb 1600MHz cards, I can see them all, and...
  5. J

Okay, don't flame me too hard. Kinda new to all this. I have been running a Lenovo TS140 with Windows Server at home for a few years, but it is limited in its power. I lucked into a Dell R720XD, 64Gb Ram, 2 of E5-2640. I want to use it at home to run Blue Iris for my security cameras, Plex for...