Search results

1. L

Vmware ESXi or XenServer

Hello, I'm in a process of converting my fileserver to a AIO server. My board/cpu supports IOMMU, so I will be able to pass HBA to a guest system, but I'm not sure which way to go. Vmware ESXi is a proven thing and works and is mainly click-click and IO passthrough works like a charm. But as...
  2. L

ZeusRAM

So... This arrived on Friday Anyone interested in any test? I have a test rig setup and can run different tests. Just let me know which ones and with what parameters. lp, Matej
  3. L

SAS drives with high ECC corrected errors

Hello! I have the following new setup: server with LSI 9207 HBA Supermicro 837E26-RJBOD1 28bay JBOD 28x Seagate Enterprise capacity 3.5 HDD v4 4TB SAS drives All drives are brand new and arrived a few days ago, sealed in antistatic bag, from Supermicro. I mount them all into JBOD and started...
  4. L

ZFS NAS (what to expect, benchmarking,...)

Hello! I posted some other posts about which SLOG to pick for my NAS, but before that task, I got some test gear to perform some benchmarks to see where I stand and what can I expect from the system. What do I have: - IBM xServer 3550 M4 - 2x Intel Xeon E5-2640 - 164GB memory - 2x SAS drives...
  5. L

Setting up test bed for ZIL and L2ARC SSDs

Hello! I'm setting up a test bed for testing SAS SSDs to pick for my ZIL (and maybe L2ARC as well). As far as I looked on the internet, 'fio' seems to be the tool of choice when it comes to benchmarking (on linux that is). My test bed: - IBM xServer 3550 M4 - 2x Intel Xeon E5-2640 - 164GB...
  6. L

Buying SAS SSD for ZIL&ARC

Hello! I'm building an OmniOS SAN with the following specs: - 2x IBM server with 265GB memory - 2x 28x JBOD (supermicro) - 2x LSI HBA - 52 4TB hard drives - 2x SAS SSD ZIL - 2x SAS SSD L2ARC I kidna already picked SAS hard drives, but I'm having troubles with SAS SSD's. For ZIL I assume it's...
  7. L

Renewing home storage

Hello! It's time for me to slowly renew my current storage server. It's not that it's old, it just made of consumer grade HW and that brings a bunch of problem with it. When something doesn't work the way you expect, you never know if it's the HW, SW, network or something else. So I wan't to...
  8. L

X-CASE RM 424 -GEN II

Did anyone test this case? How did it performed? Could it sustain SSD drive speeds? More info here. Youtube introduction here. I would love to get myself a supermicro case, but they are SOOOO expensive here in Europe that I just cant afford it. But thix X-Case, I can get for under 400€ new...