Search results

1. R

SFP choices for use with Supermicro X10SDV-7TP4F

Another Update: I ordered a Ubiquity US-16-XG switch, and after two days of fiddling to get the switch configured on my network, I was able to get one of the SFP+ ports on the Supermicro XD10-SDV motherboard to talk to the switch using a DAC cable (Cablematters 104033-2m-US). Next up is to see...
  2. R

Quick Update: In VMware 6.0.0 U2, installing the VMware ixgbe driver (net-ixgbe_4.5.3-1OEM.600.0.0.2494585.vib) causes VMware to see the adapter. It is listed in the UI as an "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection X552 10 GbE SFP+", which is as expected. However, the 10Gtek ASF-GE-T (INT) SFP module...
  3. R

Thanks for the pointers to the optical transceivers. I may have to go that route, but my first goal is to find a way to use the SFP+ ports to interoperate with an existing 1GBE copper network. Hope to have time in the next day or two to run copper transceiver tests. Support did inform me today...
  4. R

Supermicro support has responded that they have not validated any 1GB SFP transceivers, but suggested that I try the Aquanta AQS-109. Unfortunately, this part does not seem to be generally available - I found one listing, but with no inventory and an estimated 12 week lead time. They did state...
  5. R

I will continue to do research and experiment with various options including a DAC connection to a switch with SFP or SFP+ ports. Thanks to all for the comments and links. I would love to hear about any additional experiences that other may share. It looks like this will be a medium to...
  6. R

As long as the vendor is reputable, and the price is low enough that I can afford to buy spares, it's definitely something I would consider. I still have to figure out if it makes more sense to buy copper converters or additional switches. Thanks for the tip!
  7. R

Hi Patrick. I could try using DACs instead of interface modules such as the one I mentioned, All I would need is a switch that had SFP+ and 1GBE copper to connect to the other devices on the network, perhaps with link aggregation. Ideally I could find a switch with, say, 6 SFP+ ports and 12 GBE...
  8. R

Hi! I am evaluating a Supermicro X10SDV-7TP4F motherboard as part of a 5018D-MHR7N4P system, and I have a question about using the SFP+ ports. This motherboard has 2x 1GBE Ethernet ports on RJ-45s, and two empty SFP+ cages. The SFP+ ports are said to be supported directly the Intel D-1500 SOC...
  9. R

What's your home lab environment for?

I use my home lab for evaluating hardware and software in order to understand it thoroughly before I recommend configurations to clients. So it's about learning and (hopefully) generating good advice, for which I can get paid...