Search results

1. D

Weird behavior with XikeStor 10Gb SFP+ switches

Yeah, certain vendors are really a pain when it comes to SFP compatibility, and pretty much all of it is just proprietary nonsense. Cisco is the worst, but iirc Intel will block non-Intel optics while allowing non-Intel DACs. I think the latter is mainly because the other end is likely to be...
  2. D

I've heard people report this for other switches, but this particular switch (XikeStor) recognized DACs out of the box.
  3. D

I don't think I have enough optics on hand to test this (or at least, not enough to match the number of DACs and also have something connected on the other end). It wouldn't have been that much extra cost to go with AOCs if I hadn't just ordered a 10 pack of DACs (which I can't return at this...
  4. D

@Markess I am pretty sure I saw something about management IPs resetting on one of the switches I was looking at, but I can't remember if it was this one! But yes, that's probably why you can't get in. Your gear and the switch management IP are on the same physical network, but your gear thinks...
  5. D

@nexox that makes a lot of sense, thank you. I think I had missed those reports (hard to keep up with so many brands and models). It's a pity; it seems like it would be a pretty capable switch if it...stayed on. ETA: unless I can find some similarly priced switches that are "known good" I...
  6. D

I took advantage of a good deal to get two XikeStor L3 managed SFP+ switches off AliExpress — it's the same model that's on Amazon here. I ended up paying about $85 each which I figured was cheap enough to take a chance. The model number appears to be SKS8300-8X . I was able to do some testing...
  7. D

Review Request: SODOLA 12-Port SFP+ Managed Swich B0B8SJWV2S

Oh, that's weird — it was listed as of just a few days ago! Their shop page even still links to that listing for the 10Gb switch.
  8. D

Review Request: SODOLA 12-Port SFP+ Managed Swich B0B8SJWV2S

Anyone tried one of these yet? Looks like it is currently down to $199 after a $20 coupon. Almost certainly identical to the Horaco on AliExpress as it uses the same weird marketing graphics. The otherwise similarly spec'ed Hasivo and POEPLUS have a different layout (and dual AC input) so may...
  9. D

Minisforum MS-01 - 2 x 10Gbe SFP+, 2 x 2.5Gbe RJ45, 3 x NVMe, 1 x U.2, 1 x PCI 4.0 x 16 slot & vPro

4TB single sided drives are starting to trickle in — STH reviewed the Lexar NM790 and the perhaps more promising Samsung 990 Pro 4TB is now available. Wondering if perhaps we will see an AMD version of this — several of the articles that seem like press releases refer to this as Minisforum's...
  10. D

ASRock Rack B650D4U MicroATX for Ryzen 7000 processors

The liquid cooling requirement is frustrating for anyone looking to put these in a rack. Obviously not ASRock's fault, though; 170W is a high TDP for a processor with such a tiny heat spreader. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the board image strongly suggests an X670 version is...
  11. D

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Thanks for the quick reply — and for your guide, which was really invaluable! (Very long-time lurker here, I'm afraid.) EDIT — realized after I posted this that I did in fact miss something in my config — I set up the router-interface for all of my new VLANs, but not the existing one they'll...
  12. D

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Quick question for those more familiar with these switches than I — if I need to change from the switch image to the router image, can I safely do so from the normal config prompt copy command, and then reboot (rather than going through the boot prompt)? I configured my ICX6450 ages ago...