Search results

1. arglebargle

Optimal OS for game dedicated server

This sounds like a perfect time to use TempleOS.
  2. arglebargle

(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Throw PLEX on it and see how many transcodes you can get out of J5005 simultaneously. That was my original thought for mine, but I don't have space/time to work on it right now. The base 5070 (not extended) could be a fantastic sleeper PLEX transcode box if you can figure out how to stick more...
  3. arglebargle

Yeah, the part numbers were easy enough to find back in Feb when I bought my 5070. The actual part on the other hand... I don't think the Realtek based Ableconn is really worth considering unless there are no alternatives. Commell is, though the last time I got in touch with them they wanted...
  4. arglebargle

Do you have a source for these? Googling them brings me right back to the thread or takes me to machine generated spam pages. I've been looking for the second rj45 for six months or so.
  5. arglebargle

HP t730 Thin Client as an HP Microserver Gen7 Upgrade

I don't remember the power button being capacitive, just light-touch and easy to press accidentally. It sounds like the switch in yours is either sticking on something or going bad if it's triggering when you're handling the machine. I'd try pressing it hard once (not so hard that you break it...
  6. arglebargle

Some information about HP T620 Plus Flexible Thin Client machines for network appliance builds...

Watch out for mSATA voltage too; in theory the slot supplies 3.3V and your 2.5" drives are going to want 5V.
  7. arglebargle

[solved]Zfs on Linux Bootable rpool setup(Proxmox 5.3)

I'd leave the drives as-is and not expand them. They'll never have the performance or endurance of enterprise drives but they should last longer with more pages free for wear leveling. This only works if you secure erase or execute a full drive TRIM so that the unpartitioned pages are marked...
  8. arglebargle

HP t740 Thin Client as an HP Microserver Gen7 Upgrade (finally!)

The PBP has an NVMe expansion header but doesn't really benefit from NVMe speeds most of the time (you bottleneck waiting on the CPU rather than storage in most cases.) Lower power storage expansion using eMMC on NVMe should provide better runtime on battery unless the eMMC/NVMe controller is...
  9. arglebargle

(Update 04-25) DFI DT122 (AMD RX-427BB) Industrial ITX T730-a-like; $99 shipped w/ 8GB

Just to give some ballpark context: RX-427BB is really close to the performance of an i7-920; I wouldn't expect high performance IDS/IPS out of these. I'd think about mirroring your LAN trunk traffic at the switch to a second port and running IDS on a sufficiently fast second box. RX-427BB can...
  10. arglebargle

HP t740 Thin Client as an HP Microserver Gen7 Upgrade (finally!)

Heyyyy, this is looking great. NVMe plus SATA plus 10 or 40Gb in the PCIe slot has me very interested in picking up a handful of these when I can get them <$400 or so. Let me know what happens with SR-IOV, if VF passthrough actually functions (and you can release VFs when shutting down VMs) I...
  11. arglebargle

Direction for pfSense with ICX6610 and Unifi - how to DHCP and DNS

That .... actually makes perfect sense. I swear I did that but it's entirely possible (probable even) that I didn't. Thanks!
  12. arglebargle

Direction for pfSense with ICX6610 and Unifi - how to DHCP and DNS

pfSense does unexpected things with VLANs sometimes. I remember adding a VLAN interface to a running machine at one point and having things look fine but being totally unable to contact or route through the router on the new VLAN from the outside until I rebooted the pfSense instance.
  13. arglebargle

HP T730 Thin Client low perf on Proxmox

@TheJaguar Setup your kernel command line like @Mikepop indicated, then set your scaling governor to "performance" and let the radeon driver do all of the work. "radeon.bapm=1" is the only necessary command line flag unless you're using iommu for passthrough.
  14. arglebargle

Ironically China's economy is going to be back up and running a hell of a lot faster than the wests'. I've heard estimates of 2-3 months lag time on orders from the big hardware companies if what you're buying isn't already in a warehouse somewhere in NA, which isn't bad all things considered...
  15. arglebargle

Proxmox will do SR-IOV but you won't have a ton of success with the actual hardware because the T730 doesn't support PCIe ACS. You can kind of hack it to work but various drivers will offer functionality between "not working at all" and "kind of broken" without ACS. You're probably best off...
  16. arglebargle

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Yup. The actual 3M connectors are usually better quality but generics work just fine in a pinch.
  17. arglebargle

Invest in some 3m gel filled quick splice connectors, they'll make splices like that really easy. Stripping wires that size is a pain, especially when they're stranded and not solid core.
  18. arglebargle

I'm not super surprised by this TBH, the fan/psu modular system on the 7450 uses the same parts as the 6610 which is on par with a vacuum cleaner during bootup.
  19. arglebargle

For anyone who's trying to sort out how to connect to the mini USB port on the 7xxx series: I wired up one of these a couple of days ago, it took me about 3 minutes. Pins 3 and 6 on a Cisco-compatible rollover cable are Rx and Tx, you just need to connect those to the white and green wires in a...
  20. arglebargle

FS:US:CA:Sacramento Ubiquiti UniFi gear

You can convert 24V passive Unifi to af with a $7-8 adapter dongle from fleaBay too; I have several from back when I was phasing out my legacy 24V gear. They work great.