Search results

1. E

Recommended eBay seller for used 10G SFP+ access network switches

1) pick product you want - some examples below. Personally I am pretty happy with Brocade and have been using 6450 and then 7250 2) find the seller that would give you a good price 'out of the door' with shipping to your area. if you are local to USA and Chicago area, I would give you 6450...
  2. E

[WTB] [US-IL] Cheap/low power consumption GPU for the server build

ok, thank you. FWIW I think AMD caught up and passed intel by around 2017-2018 and now far passed Intel.. Ryzen 3 and 4 is better, faster, lower power, and better node tech when anything Intel had recently... Prior to 2017 and around 2013 the Bulldozer was bull..
  3. E

one item - one point of failure. we can think of it being redundant this or that (PSU, etc) however it is still one motherboard, one BIOS (you upgrade or tinker with it, everything is down), and most of the item overpowered for what it needs to do function wise... if instead if have a compute...
  4. E

thank you - what is the power consumption on these servers? I think the CPUs themselves are 13 years old. our electricity in IL is $0.13-$0.14 per kWh here in USA/Illinois. Reddit search says ~100W without the drives..
  5. E

iLO/DRAC card for home server (TrueNAS headless without GPU)

I use HP S01-pf1013w as compute node for my proxmox mini cluster and it is <10 W on idle.. cheap when Walmart was getting rid of these for $75 new. Added i7-10700 CPUs to each node and that is my 'server'.. my hope was to get a solution for Truenas machine in terms of storage needs (Proxmox...
  6. E

fair question - to me 'server' means focus on compute (and storage). high power, high performance, somewhat redundant loud piece of equipment that is still down is common component failed. for my own homelab I went instead for all of my 'compute' needs to Proxmox and clustered 3x HP SF001...
  7. E

thank you sir, probably way outside of my price range . i was hoping for cheap, low end, low power card and both you mention are very recent (this decade)
  8. E

want to buy a GPU that someone is not using, ideally PCIE powered only. Hoping people have something that want to get rid off without having to go through Ebay... my thread explaining my problem (headless TrueNAS build) here - TrueNAS server issue, need remote access Chicago suburbs location
  9. E

would you be able to recommend any ? TinyPilot seem to be $400 which is too rich for me for homelab need. piKVM seem to be significantly cheaper , major difference in functionality?
  10. E

my "server" is already built and has been running for two years so I am comparing net additional costs to each other (vs new motherboard built). I will also update my post to provide hardware spec if that would help.. DYU 'server' is Asrock x370 Taichi + Ryzen 1700X CPU what about e-bay...
  11. E

running Trunas on a home built server with Ryzen 1700X without a GPU (headless) from time to time I do need to see what is happening (if server gets stuck) so it is a procedure to find spare GPU in the parts bin, locate monitor and bring it to the home lab area etc so I was wondering if there is...
  12. E

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

where are you located? US-IL here and if you are local, I have 6450-24 and 6450-48 I am not using (upgraded to 7250 as I wanted for fiber) . local pickup, price you consider reasonable, and it is yours as they are 'backup' for me anyway. I rather not deal with shipping as these are bulky/heavy...
  13. E

Advice on Future-proofing Home Switch

Not sure of any benefit of 'future-proofing' here - what additional capabilities you are gaining that you not already having? and why does EOL matter for home hardware ? this is a hobby, so i would be the last to judge anyone spending on what they want. in your specific case, to me, there is...
  14. E

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

it is less about CPU choice and more about what is actually available at the time person builds their machine/cluster. i.e. when i was looking last fall Walmart in USA happen to rotate inventory and was throwing away (selling at $74 a full, complete, new , under warranty system) based on intel...
  15. E

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

what is the version of the DisplayPort on the PCs in question? What resolutions does that displayport version support? i.e. at earlier version of the hardware chip, you would not be able to do 4K at resolutions over 30 fps. in theory HD 530 GPU should support 4K@60 if connected over...
  16. E

14 TB WD Easystore $200 @BestBuy

My local BB's have them a plenty (Chicago suburbs). I put 6 of them into TrueNAS build and they show up as normal 7200 rpm drive.
  17. E

Switching from SmartOS to TrueNAS

Sounds good, Proxmox has a healthy community and pretty good support. Everything I do beyond initial install is through web UI (node/cluster management, VM managed, console, storage management, failovers, etc). May be one item I had to do in command line when I did the storage format conversion...
  18. E

Switching from SmartOS to TrueNAS

Have you already looked at Proxmox? Debian based hypervisor with support for zfs (if that is what you want) which you can run whichever way you desire. In my mind - if you focus on virtualization , go with hypervisor . if your focus is storage, go with something like truenas. Can Truenas do...
  19. E

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

One more question if I may - you do need drive caddies for all of these enclosures (i.e. I can not plug in the 10 Gb HE drives in different thread directly to the backblane, correct)? If considering, what should I be searched for (I assume on ebay) in terms of getting the drive caddies. $220...
  20. E

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Thank you @Markess - so for your MSI B450 system , did you installed a PCI card to make this work ? Do you also _have to_ go with SAS drives (these cards typically say SAS/SATA) like those advertised in other threads... I am really tempted to dive in for storage(truenas) build to expose/share...