Search results

1. A

Voltaire/Mellanox 4036 mtu

Search on mellanox community thread... I had a similar issue and it was gracefully explained by a fellow community member.. Just a quick insight: You can set the MTU in the partition.conf file. Then disconnect all servers and connect one so it can negociate 4092 mTu, then all you'll add will...
  2. A

Looking for E5 V2 ES Advice

Be careful, because the cpu's in your links are ES (Engineering Samples). They might or might not work in server motherboards. It mainly depends on the motherboard bios. Also these cpu's might have certain features disabled (depending on stepping) -> VT/EVC/AVX/etc
  3. A

Voltaire/Mellanox 4036 firmware update

:mrkrad Your advice regarding the CF card is good but not in this case. Regarding the backdoor during boot, i'm not aware of such an option, but it might be there. Just let us know if you found it. :d2000 Unfortunately from my knowledge (after opening Mellanox 4036 switch) there is no CF...
  4. A

Mellanox ConnectX-3 VPI FDR (56Gbit) + 40GbE dual-port cards for $299

:mrkrad Thanks for the suggestion... But i already have some Voltaire 4036 switches... So i don't need to connect the cards directly (at least for Infiniband)... My application for these is to connect some Vmware ESXi hosts so I'm interested in having 40Gbe between these hosts. That's why i...
  5. A

Mellanox ConnectX-3 VPI FDR (56Gbit) + 40GbE dual-port cards for $299

Looks like i got the last 2 pcs. Wanted more but it seems i moved too slow. Is anyone running QDR/FDR cards in VPI mode? I'm interested in what switches are u using?
  6. A

is the perc 6i still worth using

I'm still using some of those and they work perfectly... I run ZFS over a Raid 6 on perc 6i... They worked without any issues for more than 3+ years. No trouble with them so far.. You don't need more than a 30 or 40mm fan over the original heatsinks... The single issue with these i see is that...
  7. A

24 SSD's + Supermicro X9/96GB/10GBE- am I crazy?

Hello.... I've been watching your threads both here and on hardforum for a very long time, and i'm very curious on your progress with this 24 ssd pool. I do have a similar setup with head-node (with LSI 9206-16e) based on openindiana/napp-it and a SuperMicro JBOD with 8 / 16 SSDs. I also have...
  8. A

Voltaire 4036 - anyone make quiet yet?

From the amount of heat i see coming from these switches, i would not personally recommend changing the fans. Also those fans are surely PWM and may have additional electronics in them. I do have a couple of these units myself and comparing to other network gear the sound is very low (for a...
  9. A

Thanks a lot :markpower28
  10. A

Hello, I do have one question for you and i would be very grateful if you could answer it. I do have 2 Voltaire 4036 switches and one of them has been updated with the HP firmware. The issue I'm having on it is that at boot sequence i see a message and I'd like to know if you have that...