Search results

1. B

The truth about CPU power consumption

Well said, I think you nailed it. The sff boxes do have vpro, which is OK but nothing like a real ilo. Agreed.
  2. B

Esxi free is dead. Alternative?

For home use I stopped using vmware some years ago and now only use Proxmox. At work we are currently looking into alternatives for vmware, and we use A LOT of it across all of our data centre's in the UK with likely 25,000 VMs, im interested to know the final decision, at which point ill...
  3. B

Interesting, i'm definitely in the server/client mindset, independent of the hardware. My first 'home server' was a SparcStation 20, many many years ago for learning SunOS when my career went from telecoms to IT. As time went on I moved to traditional servers as you say, DL380's, gen8 then...
  4. B

Its not just USFF, also SFF home servers are very efficient and allow 3 pcie slots including wifi A+E, a few ssd's and nvme drive. My dell 400 g7 with an i5-10500, 64gb RAM with a few SSD's pulls around 7w from the wall when handling all the home background tasks, thats the same as an USFF but...
  5. B

chill baby, a sticky post is like an FAQ, keep it to the top so FAQ's are there, right at your finger tips, its a help to people with common questions who CBA to use the search functionality. ;) Close enough ? Have a read of the thread, all 3 pages, tell me how relevant it is 2024. Low...
  6. B

OFC. Do you not think its a little out dated though? Ive followed servehome for a long time, this post doesn't cut it these days.
  7. B

This thread is funny, why is it held at the top of the list??? Id consider a low power and powerful home server pc to be sub 10w, and many people do these days. Not sure why this is sticky in 2024.
  8. B

N100 board suggestions

Hi, Im looking for an N100 ITX board for a small standalone proxmox server. There are lots out there but I need something specific. 1. Quad 2.5gb nics 2. Ability to boot in Legacy/BIOS mode (non UEFI) 3. A pcie slot for a (gen1!) PCI Express x8 card (HP SAS) I think no2 is the main concern...
  9. B

pcie sas card that works on UEFI

Oh fabulous, thank you very much! I haven't updated the firmware in the last 12 months but if i remember the latest firmware is very old.
  10. B

Sorry, to clarify the mobo takes ages to post with the h240 in, then finally boots but I don't see the card or disks. Apparently the card will only work in legacy bios mode, which my mobo will not allow unless a gpu card is used, not the igpu. Ridiculous asus!
  11. B

I'm booting off 1 of the nvme's, locked to uefi boot, the raidz1 sas was for vm and media, home dir etc. Backing up to an external gtech drive.
  12. B

Well, today was a interesting, my asus z690m ITX card arrived, but.....it wont recognise my HP H240 sas card as it will only work in legacy BIOS mode.... and I need a GPU to allow that, but with one pci slot im shafted.. screw you ASUS! So, I can just revert to SATA or find a card that will be...
  13. B

HP Z640 Headless Boot??

does your cpu have igpu? if it does check your bios to enable it, if not...... you need your gpu its always going to be power hungry even without a gpu though
  14. B

Proxmox homelab advice requested - low power usage, mid performance - Which TinyMiniMicro?

Ive got a few Lenovo's i no longer use, the best ive found is the M920q, this with 32gb of ram (can add another32gb stick) was plenty for my use. With a 6 core / 6 thread i5-9500t, 256gb m.2 nvme and a 2tb sandisk ssd, 1x1gb nic (vpro) and an additional m.2 based 2.5gb nic it idles at 5w with...
  15. B

Recommended drives for basic proxmox setup

Is this just for home use? do you envisage your VMs/LXD's etc needing huge I/O? What is your network performance etc? Its no use imho to go huge on storage performance if not needed or network bottlenecked, a slow 5400 hdd can flood a 1gig network!! For my home use, which includes a couple...
  16. B

Help finding a cheap Tiny PC with 2.5Gbe and 2x m.2

Ive got a few M920q and M910q's, this is what ive done on mine...although it doesnt meet your requirements in full. (1) Some bargains to be had, if patient. (2) my micro servers run from i5-6500t through to i5-9500t, i think the 6th gen cpu is a little slow now but im happy with the rest...
  17. B

Ideas needed for a Low Power system around DDR4 ECC RDIMM

For interest my gen9 ml150 with a single 10c e5 and 128gb lrdimm consumes 50 watt at idle. But that's with b150i sas controller and ilo module with a couple of ssd only
  18. B

build: Cheap Fujitsu TX1330 M1 low power (25 watt idle) Truenas box

Nice :) qq, why use the sas.card at all with sata drives? I've found the quest for eco home builds is they start getting expensive, so well done. What c-state can you achieve, swapping out some older hw can really improve things, looking at that sas card ;)
  19. B

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

If you find an os that could run off a pair of mirrored usb sticks, no swap and remote logging, you could use 3 nvme with the shucked sata ssd. Teany tiny nas :)
  20. B

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

Ok, then you can get some tiny boxes with 2xNVME slots, you can get dual pcie NVME boards, you could shuck your 8tb SATA SSD. I think you would struggle to squeeze in the SSD and keeping it safe electronically. The mini PCIe slot is tiny, can you get an nvme that small or indeed, if you can...