Search results

1. T

Atom C3000 / Proxmox VE / SOHO - 4 or 8 cores?

@mstone: thanks for sharing advice and experience - this is the feedback I am looking after. However in my specific case the chassis (which was expensive at the time and which I still like a lot) is very small and does not allow a fan (or fans) being installed into the case itself. The only fan...
  2. T

Thanks a lot for running the tests comparing the CPUs for me! In my initial post I was set for getting the ATOM C3000 (which I would have attempted to put into the case and only if that would not have worked would I have considered to use fans or even invest into a current fanless case) - my...
  3. T

hmm - are you sure the Cooljag you mentioned would fit the new Denverton CPU? Intel Atom® Processor C3758 (16M Cache, up to 2.20 GHz) Produktspezifikationen. My understanding is the solution is very similar to the solution I have on my D525 Atom which you can see here HFX micro line, i.e. only a...
  4. T

The company I spoke to was impactics.com based in Germany. They do not list the coolset on their home page, but in the text on their page claim they also would/can build custom heatsinks if required. So I called asking for a CPU heatsink that would fit not only the new ATOM C3000 CPU on the...
  5. T

Further exploring my options trying to keep my HFX Micro case and looking for a server mainboard considering the feedback received so far and valuing single thread performance over number of cores: - mini-ITX (mandatory for me) - with ECC support (luckily the 32GB limit should not be a problem...
  6. T

I have two HFX Micro cases, one fanless with the BorgFX heat pipe system (and an old Intel ATOM D525 Pineview mainboard) which I was using as a "server" for Squeezebox music streaming and into which I had installed an active ISDN telephone card so I could use it for telephone conferencing in my...
  7. T

fanless or very low noise wasn't on the initial post, but it was mentioned not just now :) guess it boils down to - are 2.2 GHz enough for surfing the net and doing office work? (of these two I would think rendering performance in the browser is the real challenge, not Office software) -...
  8. T

ok, but with >= 80W TDP for the "standard" E3 or E5 I need to give up my ambitions to potentially cool passively and get rid of annoying fan(s). The only Xeon E version with higher single thread performance when in turbo mode (4 Core, 8 threads, 2,1 GHz normal, 3.2 GHz turbo) and 25W TDP as far...
  9. T

Haven't done much research looking at the E3 CPUs you are suggesting - mainly because they seemed to have TDP starting at 65W while I didn't want to go over 35 TDP (as low [better very low or no] noise is important to me along with power consumption and I might try going fanless with this...
  10. T

The data I wanted to leave on my Synology, i.e. storage space requirements on the Proxmox server itself are low and I thought I should be using the best I/O interface the SuperMicro board I have in mind supports in terms of performance (as I/O throughput I hear is important in a virtualized...
  11. T

Hi, being conscious of cost (hardware, power consumption) I am wondering whether I should go for the Supermicro A2SDI board with 4 cores (4x2,2GHz, 8MB) or for the one with 8 cores (8x2,2GHz, 16MB). Planning to equipe my small home office with 2 Linux VMs and Office work (LibreOffice) /...