Search results

1. D

Expanding storage, new to SAS and expanders

So, I finally got around to testing my HBAs and expanders. I had purchased 3x HP SAS Expanders from eBay. Funny thing is that I looked at the revision numbers and just assumed that A03 would have newer firmware than A01, so I used that for a few days until I realized it had FW 1.00, while the...
  2. D

Got any link(s) to the exact case(s) you have in mind? I'm open for inspiration :)
  3. D

Thanks, nice info. Got a few cards and cables on the way. Mostly planning what kind of rack I want for drives now.
  4. D

It says in the docs for the HP SAS Expander that the 8088 port is for tape, but it can be used as a line in from the HBA as well, right? Perhaps a given, but may as well ask someone who's tried it. :)
  5. D

Ah OK, thanks. When I e-bay'd "lsi 8e" that Dell H200 card comes up first actually and at a fair price to me. I'll get 2-4 of those and flash them to IT. And a few more of those green expanders - I share your thinking in terms of gradually growing. May run dual-link between the cards, at least...
  6. D

Thanks for you input, I've used and enjoyed Stablebit DrivePool since '14, pretty happy with it. Can I ask how you flashed it (hp sas expander)? Where you got the firmware and software you used. Seem to be a lot of spread information around this card, hard to be sure of anything.
  7. D

I have a Fractal Design Node 804 case today with 8x3TB NAS drives I need to expand, and I'd like to keep everything a single volume. I've been googling around and wondered if this would work for me as expected (full SATA support, 3TB drives and up, mainly for media server and backup, performance...