Search results

1. R

How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

I decided to get myself some 3PAR-branded DC HC530 drives that came formatted with 520-byte logical sectors. The datasheet says they can be reformatted between all of the various sector sizes, including "fast format," and I was able to convert them from 520/4160 to 512/4096. It's a two-step...
  2. R

The Official NVIDIA GRID M40 Thread

Is that true for the actual use case I've got? 4K h264/h265 being transcoded down to 720 or 1080? I was under the impression that a 2G card would be enough for one or two of those sessions max, whereas my CPUs can handle that already and won't run out of RAM.
  3. R

The only Pascal device that looks good for this is the P100, weighing in at 600$ on eBay right now. I also don’t see anything in the Pascal lineup with more than 16G of memory and a promise of ever being affordable. Is there anything else you’d suggest that has unlocked nvenc?
  4. R

I know I'm 6 years late to the party here. These cards are pretty cheap and I'm thinking of stuffing the 24 GB variant into my Dell R730 for Plex transcoding. At $200, is there any reason I shouldn't? Transcoding seems to be VRAM-limited, with the 24 GB model seeming to promise me slightly more...
  5. R

Linux Workstation SSD: Consumer Gen4, or Enterprise Gen3 with PLP?

To be clear, I'm only really worried about performance of sync writes. e.g. large docker/k8s/kvm local dev environments. Wondering out loud if I should expect to see tangible performance benefits with these applications. It's probably silly to cut typical performance in half just to speed up...
  6. R

Linux Workstation SSD: Consumer Gen4, or Enterprise Gen3 with PLP?

Hi folks, I'm building a Linux workstation and trying to decide on what storage device to use for my Linux root disk. My motherboard supports 22110 devices, so I'm seriously considering getting a used datacenter Gen3 with PLP device, rather than a newer Gen4 consumer device. I seem to lose...