Search results

1. M

AOC-SLG3-2M2 to Bifurcate or not Bifurcate on X9DRi-LN4F+

Thanks guys. I don't need to boot, just enable bifurcation to have 2 NVMe drives show up on the card, to enable them in the unraid cache pool. Unraid boots off a USB stick.
  2. M

AOC-SLG3-2M2 to Bifurcate or not Bifurcate on X9DRi-LN4F+

Hey guys. I've got an unraid server, using the X9DRi-LN4+ motherboard, currently BIOS 3.2. Now that unraid released an update allowing multiple cache pools to be created, I was thinking of creating another cache pool for my VMs, and one for my Radarr/Sonarr downloads, using NVME drives. If...
  3. M

LSI 9211-8i HBA Larger than 8 TB Drives

I purchase a Supermicro 4U 36 Bay X9DRI-LN4F 2x Xeon E5-2690V2 10 Core box from Unixsurplus (Mr. Rackables) on ebay. The unit has a LSI 9211-8i HBA in it currently. The listing stated it would work with up to 8 TB drives just fine, and it is doing just that. I've loaded it with a number of...
  4. M

UnRAID Plex and File Server Build

Very true, but I can’t imagine the hp p4300 is very power efficient either, and it runs non stop as well.
  5. M

So in that case, With the above mentioned e5 v2 system be sufficient?
  6. M

Both actually. I have a 4K projector and 150 inch screen in the basement, and a couple 4K TVs throughout the house. I'd like to be able to Direct Play to the 4K devices, but then transcode the h.265 streams to 1080 or 720 for other devices, or when I'm travelling and in a hotel.
  7. M

Thanks, would you go with the last one? Would the v2's provide enough bandwidth for a Plex streaming server?
  8. M

Yeah, that would be helpful. Chassis Style: Rackmount Proposed Budget: ~ $2000 not including disks Spinning Disks: 6-8 WD Red Pro 6 TB drives, with ability to expand over time SSDs: 2x 512GB SSD for Cache Currently I have ~ 8TB of media (movies, music, pictures) and files, looking to grow...
  9. M

Hello. I’m looking at building a new UnRAID server, to replace my current SAN, an old HP P4300g2, that I have outgrown. The box will mainly handle Plex streams, 3-5 at a time, and ideally be able to handle 4K transcodes as well. Additionally, it will host a file server as well. I have...
  10. M

New Server Purchase - Proc Recommendations

After have 2 kids in the last 18 months, and switching jobs, I'm now in a position to move forward with this original thread. Back to the discussion of the Dell R720/620 or Supermicro. Can anyone recommend a comparable Supermicro chassis/machine that is comparable to the Dell R720 or R620...
  11. M

There are a ton of SuperMicro configurations and chassis numbers, which one is closest in comparison to the Dell R720, R620 or HP DL 380 series?
  12. M

What are your thoughts on Supermicro servers, rather than Dell?
  13. M

Great! Thanks for the heads up! On side note, this is why this community is so great. Very few other forums have a community as helpful as this one!
  14. M

I'm not a familiar with the differences between the V2 and V3 processors, can you layout the major differences? Also, do you prefer the Dell R720's over the HP DL380's?
  15. M

I'm using a refurbished c6100 with each node running 2x Xeon x5560 procs. I run a separate SAN for the majority of my storage,mainly music and movies. The c6100 runs a Sophos XG VM in one node, which serves as my router and firewall. Ideally one node would work, rather than having...
  16. M

I'm looking at replacing my current Dell 4 node c6100. Currently run about 10-12 different vms across 3 of the nodes, mostly windows server, some windows 10 and a couple linux. I'm looking at an HP DL380e as a possible replacement, with dual e5-2430 v2 cpus and 192gb of ram, with 25 sff 146gb...
  17. M

Home firewall poll

I'm a big fan of Sophos XG. The recent update to the interface was a much needed refresh. I run it in a vm on Hyper V 2012 r2. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. M

Commercial NAS vs Supermicro Custom NAS

What supermicro chassis or server would someone recommend for UnRAID high density LFF storage? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. M

Commercial NAS vs Supermicro Custom NAS

For the media I'm going to be storing, I would rather have the disk space, than all of the redundancy that comes with a Raid 6 or 10 array. The data is merely movies and TV shows that can be re-downloaded or ripped if necessary. My crucial files will be kept on a the HP P4300 G2 that is setup...