Search results

1. T

10GBASE-T NIC in PCIe gen 2 slot? Will it work?

That's the one. A reviewer mentioned that it was basically the reference card with a fancy heat sink so I think you nailed it. Apparently the ASUS version is also essentially the same but with a red heat sink. The Mellanox would end up about the same price with one transceiver. I can't argue...
  2. T

It's a gigabyte gc-aqc107 and they're around a hundred bucks. It's just a single port and clearly (by the price) not a high end or server grade card, but reviews I've seen were positive. It also has a fancy aluminum heat sink that will blend in aesthetically with the rest of the gamer-esque build.
  3. T

Awesome! That gives me another option! Strictly performance speaking I agree with fiber, but most runs in my small house are 40 feet or less. The workstation to NAS run that I'm most concerned with is only about 15 feet. The 10GBASE-T built into the NAS sways the decision a lot too. I also...
  4. T

Thanks. I've briefly used the Mellanox cards you mentioned; aren't they all SFP+? Great to hear you've had success with full 10GbE using the old workstation with PCIe2 though! I'm thinking twisted pair to go along with the new NAS and cat6 I ran through all the walls last renovation. I used to...
  5. T

I'm downsizing the PC in my home office. I'm looking at mATX boards to maintain 4 DIMM slots and planning to use a single GPU (a 1080 ti I already have). But I insist on 10GBe. It looks like I can save some cash and have more options by using an add in card rather than getting a board with 10GBe...
  6. T

AMD EPYC 7000 Series SKU Lists for Launch

@zir_blazer I've also been waiting enthusiastically for the server (and HEDT) zen lineup. You bring up some interesting points regarding the latency and I'd also like to see how the 7251 compares to an underclocked 8 core Ryzen. I was excited about the launch of Ryzen, but the lack of IO makes...
  7. T

Fiber at Home? Fiber Wall Plate? How to/Practicality/Cost Questions.

Okay... I can't find any info on single mode fiber with SR transceivers, so I think I'm going to give up on that and go with the OM4. Is this diagram a reasonable plan? Wall cable is a little longer than needed so I'll have quite a bit of slack; I'll probably put a cable loop in the wall or...
  8. T

This is also what I thought... although I've noted my extreme lack of proficiency on the topic. A google search for "SR over SMF" and the like didn't help me much. If single mode is superior in future proofing, maybe I should just spend the extra for LR transceivers so I don't have to pull new...
  9. T

This is fantastically useful information. You've cleared up a lot of the fiber and connector stuff I was struggling with. Thank you! Is FS.com the go-to vendor? Edit: Do I have to worry about compatibility using SMF with SR transceivers? My previous reading suggested that SMF was intended for...
  10. T

Thanks! I actually have some of the drywall torn down in that room anyway so it'll be a piece of cake to pull the fiber before I patch it back up. Am I correct that I would measure the exact length I need, then order a fiber cable with ends already on it to plug into a keystone? My...
  11. T

I've been planning my entry into the home lab world with some serious help from this site and I have some networking questions regarding fiber in the home (some questions for home office network and some for home lab). My current "server room" (will also be home lab) shares a wall with my home...