Search results

1. B

Drive detection error

I decided to get a decent LSI controller I found on ebay to test with. While I wait I am running a cloud backup, it will probably take all weekend. If the LSI pans out, I can try to crossflash the PERC adapter without worry of bricking it. If that works then I have a spare adapter or can use...
  2. B

Drive detection error

Phew.. its a lot to backup. Th OS and critical files are backed up. Most of the other data is transient so could take the hit if I skipped it.
  3. B

Drive detection error

Thanks. I was thinking about cross-flashing the H810 as well for similar reasoning. However I had one concern I could not answer. I am not worried about flashing it back if it works. What am concerned about is losing my arrays. With the Dell Firmware I can import a foreign config from the...
  4. B

Drive detection error

So - a few updates. The firmware on the PERC H810 was 2 revisions old. I updated that to no avail. Some interesting behavior to report. With the drives plugged directly into the PERC (IE no SAS Expander), they detect correctly, in addition in the RAID BIOS under physical disks they show up...
  5. B

Drive detection error

Hi. Having a strange drive detection issue. First I will give you my config and a little history, then the specific issue. But basicall I hace 2 1T drives and 6 6T drives and the HBA is detecting 8 6T drives (and not the existing config, that I could import if the drives were detecting...
  6. B

SAS Expander question.

Thanks all. I think I am going to get one of each and do my own comparison. Tom5051, its TLER and I am aware of it. The main storage array is using WD Reds, so that is fine. the OS array random 1TB drives. I would be inclined to agree with your assessment if it was just the OS array...
  7. B

SAS Expander question.

Since I work in an IT shop and have tons of parts laying around, PSU and mobo add up to zero. Same for most cables. Every supermicro I was looking at was $800+ except one on ebay that looked to have a SAS1 backplane. A replacement backplane/expander was $200-400. So I was looking at a...
  8. B

SAS Expander question.

Well I just read through some other posts, including the SAS expander Wiki (dont know how I did not find that earlier). I think I may have most of my questions answered!
  9. B

SAS Expander question.

Looks a little out of range. I found a cheap one on ebay with a different backplane that is advertised as SAS2, but I think that is an error (or outright fabrication). A little googling shows that it is prefixed SAS and may not be good enough. I am thinking this...
  10. B

SAS Expander question.

That is great info. I am looking for inexpensive but quality. What chassis would be a better choice?
  11. B

SAS Expander question.

Howdy to this amazing forum. I have lurked here occaisionally, now I come to beg a question! Apologies if it is answered, but googling and forum searching did not yeaild an answer I could parse. The basic question is: Is there a drive size or total capacaty limit on various SAS expanders? I...