Search results

1. G

what's your ZFS flavor?

You are seeing the value of the blinking light. The light is just the drive activity light. The pro version of napp-it lets you build a drive map which would be even easier to use in a data center. HPE, Dell Lenovo etc have lights on the drives to tell you which are bad, off or failed. IF the...
  2. G

what's your ZFS flavor?

Bloated to me might not be bloated for you. You might want jails, docker, VMs and all the apps that go with it. The more stuff that gets thrown in adds complications that could affect the operation of the NAS software, this is advertised as a NAS system after all. What suffers when these...
  3. G

Curious:NAPP-IT vs Freenas

Plus it depends on what you want and need. Freenas 11 looks good but is bloatware. I want a secure storage system so freenas would be last on my list. It is more important for me to be able to identify and replace a hard drive without drama or fault as well as secure storage, like a NAS should...
  4. G

what's your ZFS flavor?

Many of us are in the same boat. FreeNAS 11 looks good but it is bloated with things I don't need or want. I want a secure storage system, with the ability to handle disk replacements without fault or drama. I am trying out OI minimal with napp-it as the GUI. I know I can identify and reliably...
  5. G

Suggestions for my first real server

I run an Opteron 4170HE in a Supermicro board, H8scm-f with 12 hard drives powered by a Seasonic gold X-560 PS. PS fan never runs, not enough power being drawn by the system. My APC 1500 UPS, on its own, draws more power than this server running 6-8 VMs. I looked at Intels offerings and came...
  6. G

ESXi as baremetal host or OI?

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone just starting out, I find that Openindiana runs better in an ESXi 5.x VM compared to running it as a single bare metal application, on my server grade hardware.
  7. G

All-In-One with SmartOS/OI on mirrorred ZFS bootdisks

Thanks for your reply Gea. I found my problem. When one follows instructions too closely one tends not to think. I had followed your instructions to the letter but forgot to add this 2nd virtual disk to the OI VM settings. It just came to me as I sat down to see if there was an answer to my...
  8. G

All-In-One with SmartOS/OI on mirrorred ZFS bootdisks

rpool mirror problem Hello all, I have a Supermicro H8SCM -f motherboard, Opteron 4170HE processor, SASUCI8 controller with 5 2 TB Seagate Barracuda XTs and 3 1TB WD RE4s. I boot from a Seagate 80 gig 2.5' HD and I have 2 WD 2.5" 500 GB Blacks for my datastores which connect to the motherboard...