Search results

1. doppler_shift

Build advice - virtualization server

I'm trying to decide on a cost-effective virtualization server build. The major workloads are C++ compilation related; CI/CD, tests, GH actions runners, etc. - all big hogs in terms of CPU power which benefit greatly from single thread performance, especially since most of the C++ code is...
  2. doppler_shift

HPE DL20 Gen9 noise reduction

So, found out recently that when you populate PCIe slot 2 (the full height one) Fan 3 goes crazy. Same for when you disable the Dynamic Smart Array on the onboard SATA controller, apparently because then iLO can't read the drive temps and goes insane. So I'm looking for a way to quiet down this...
  3. doppler_shift

HPE DL20 Gen9 in a short depth rack

So, I scored a DL20 for really cheap but now I somehow have to mount it in my 400mm / 15.75" deep 4-post rack. The HP rail kit that comes with it is out since it's way too long for this rack, and normally I'd buy custom Accuride rails but this server doesn't have screw holes on the sides of the...
  4. doppler_shift

Right cabling for SAS3 12Gb/s SSD

I just got a HGST SSD800MM (https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/US_SSD800MM_ds.pdf) and I'm new to SAS and specifically SAS 12Gb/s. My motherboard (X11SSL-CF) has an onboard LSI 3008 with two SFF-8643 connectors. What kind of cable would I need to connect this new bad boy? from...
  5. doppler_shift

Chassis options for short-depth rack

After moving to a new apartment I've chosen to build my new home datacenter in a short-depth rack (400mm/15.75") since it sits in our small storage room with the rest of our stuff and has to have a minimal footprint. You can see the rack in question here. I don't live in the US so pretty much...