Search results

1. doppler_shift

Can I escape ThreadRipper PRO with AM5?

Looks like there are at least 3 Supermicro TRX50 boards planned; look here. The individual product pages don't work yet but I'll take it as a semi-confirmation that they're coming.
  2. doppler_shift

Can I escape ThreadRipper PRO with AM5?

Just want to comment on this that the non-PRO TR 7000 will have 48 PCIe 5.0 lanes but also an additional 40 32 PCIe 4.0 lanes and 8 PCIe 3.0 lanes for a total of 88 lanes (48 + 32 + 8). How TRX50 motherboards will use/divide them remains to be seen though.
  3. doppler_shift

Asrock Rack Epyc Rome/Milan and Threadripper Pro motherboards

That and also if you were thinking of using a freight forwarder like Shipito or Stackry or w/e then Provantage happily cancels orders to freight forwarders claiming the items are restricted from global shipping, depending on the item.
  4. doppler_shift

EXPIRED Micron 7300 MAX 3.2TB 80 USD

Managed to snag two for $75 each before it ran out, thanks OP!
  5. doppler_shift

EXPIRED Intel P3605 1.6TB NVME 2.5" $55

Only got my 4 drives today (thanks eBay International Shipping - never using that again). They all run firmware 8DV1RA13 and show up as 98% health remaining, and here are individual SMART stats: Disk Power on count Power on hours Total reads (GB) Total writes (GB) 1 306 37520 684 47 2...
  6. doppler_shift

Still worth it imo even with the cost of cables (you can find deals on those as well), *if* you get a decent quantity of these drives and assuming they're not shot to hell; should be fine given they're rated 5 DWPD for 5 years which comes out to about 14.6 PBW. I'm still wondering where to...
  7. doppler_shift

You could get something like this which is pretty cheap and connect 8 drives to it. The other issue is where do you physically put 8 of these drives - they will need some sort of airflow on them.
  8. doppler_shift

Ryzen AM5 boards with IPMI

Looks like there's a new contender in this niche from Supermicro.
  9. doppler_shift

EMC KTN-STL3 15 bay chassis

Thinking about doing something similar, but one thing I haven't found much information about is how to properly rack-mount these units into a rack meant for servers (mine is 29" deep). Do the EMC rails (100-560-184) work or are they too short? is there an alternative?
  10. doppler_shift

Where are the DDR5 ECC UDIMMs?

The SR6G7UD5385MB one (non-extended temperature) was recently added to the ASrock Rack B650D4U memory QVL though I still can't find them for purchase anywhere online.
  11. doppler_shift

Ryzen AM5 boards with IPMI

Assuming you're talking about this system then it doesn't natively support U.2; judging by the pictures they seem to be using one PCIe x4 to SFF-8643 riser card for the first U.2 and then an M.2 to U.2 adapter for the second U.2. If you fancy a 4xU.2 system with one of their AM5 boards you...
  12. doppler_shift

Build advice - virtualization server

For the bulk storage probably going to start with 4 or 6 spinners configured as two-way mirror vdevs for a ZFS pool. For the VM storage I'm thinking one 3 DWPD drive for the ESXi store and then pass-through two fast/cheap 1 DWPD drives (think PM9A3) to the main PostgreSQL VM and configure them...
  13. doppler_shift

After scouring forums and reddit, my general plan for the build: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X Motherboard: ASRock Rack B650D4U Memory: Micron 2x32GB DDR5-4800 ECC UDIMMs (I'd go for 2x48GB ECC UDIMMs but I can't find them anywhere, and also considered going 4x32GB but looks like currently going 2DPC...
  14. doppler_shift

I'm trying to decide on a cost-effective virtualization server build. The major workloads are C++ compilation related; CI/CD, tests, GH actions runners, etc. - all big hogs in terms of CPU power which benefit greatly from single thread performance, especially since most of the C++ code is...
  15. doppler_shift

ASRock Rack B650D4U MicroATX for Ryzen 7000 processors

Can you expand on your passthrough problems? I'm planning to build a nice little server out of this board and a 7950X and wondering about ESXi 8 viability, specifically passthrough as I'm planning for an LSI HBA passthrough to a ZFS appliance and maybe a couple NVMe devices as well.
  16. doppler_shift

HPE DL20 Gen9 noise reduction

Unfortunately, there is no software override for iLO fan speeds. From what I can tell you either play by iLO's rules (provide a low enough inlet temp, use the SATA controller in DSA mode, hook up at least one hard drive that has SMART attribute 194) or you do an end run and hack the fan wiring...
  17. doppler_shift

Yep everything's been updated to the latest version; used the SPP and then manually updated the BIOS and iLO to even newer versions. EDIT: I should clarify, the iLO behavior when the DSA is turned off is by design (Fan 3 ramping up to 80%, while it usually idles at 6% when the DSA is on)...
  18. doppler_shift

So, found out recently that when you populate PCIe slot 2 (the full height one) Fan 3 goes crazy. Same for when you disable the Dynamic Smart Array on the onboard SATA controller, apparently because then iLO can't read the drive temps and goes insane. So I'm looking for a way to quiet down this...
  19. doppler_shift

HPE DL20 Gen9 in a short depth rack

An update: I've finally sound some support brackets that are the right length for this rack: RASA16BK3 Going to order a pair and see how it fits.
  20. doppler_shift

HPE DL20 Gen9 in a short depth rack

I tried finding universal rails that would go this short (400mm) but no luck so far.