Search results

1. L

Looking to migrate from Raid 10 to ZFS

First the 3700 is way overkill for OS. Like them for cache or log. Freenas is tiny and most of it loads into memory so having fast boot device isn't important unless you need fast boot or reboot. Even so the actual load of os is nothing compared to post on most boxes. Second, it depends on...
  2. L

zpool not degraded, but certain files cause transfers to hang

So if you think they are sitting in “rusty” block then just copy them, zfs will assign the files new blocks. Also you can replace in place the disks
  3. L

Disk or HBA passthrough

Ok gotcha.. hopefully more than one disk :) There are a whole bunch of horror stories around this. I personally have had really good luck. I just make disk cache flushing gets turned off.
  4. L

Disk or HBA passthrough

So the reason I don’t like this is because it has none of the benefits of zfs. Pooling, checksums, growth, hybrid. With zfs I want to use the bandwidth of all the disks and use ram to cache stuff. 1 disk 1 workload.. might as well not use zfs or virtualization. Just buy a server and run an os...
  5. L

Disk or HBA passthrough

The answer to this question is the same as the answer to most technical questions.. is.. it depends. So zfs is designed to manage the disk by default. It wants to do things like tell the disk occasionally to flush it's cache. Sometimes when you pass through you may run into problems. When I had...
  6. L

SSDs, ZIL, and L2ARC

The way to tell if you will benefit from a ZIL device is to run zilstat. It can show you ongoing zil. If you have any activity at all you will benefit from a dedicated device. FreeNAS has zilstat builtin. Run it with a number of second like #zilstat 1
  7. L

what's your ZFS flavor?

Actually oracle support is less expensive than alot of the open source derived zfs tools. Most of the ones focused on storage charge per TB.. where oracle charges per socket. There is a point where it is a better deal.
  8. L

what's your ZFS flavor?

I run them all. My company does consulting and support around all of them. I like freenas, but the leading edge of it is bleeding. Freenas is stable because of the stability of freebsd. I also like napp-it. Most the time my customers make the choice. If I have my choice I do like oracle...
  9. L

FreeNAS fully operational ?

So as someone who has probably seen more the bad ECC pools than most.. Having data at rest is a very rare use case for problems in ECC. When I have seen those, what happens is a page of memory holding high level metadata while being written is inaccurate. It gets written with checksum to both or...
  10. L

ZFS Design Principles

The Freenas community is the only place you will hear that.
  11. L

ZFS Design Principles

I can't tell you how many times I have heard swags on memory requirements. The only one i know is freenas needs 8GB because the utility needs it, not zfs.
  12. L

Slightly oddball server build advice

I was going to say what gea said. You should be able to import that pool. You also can import into a linux distro. Freenas isn't compatible with other zfs distros.
  13. L

What will happen with ZFS now Solaris is gone?

Actually it's not emotional attachment, its financial. In my world they charge $17 a computer to recycle. I tried to bring a couple in one time and they wouldn't take them because they "were owned by a company"
  14. L

Oddly enough Blinux I think I still have that hardware in a closet somewhere.. Really hard to get rid of.
  15. L

Oops I was wrong with this.. A ton of people were laid off in June.
  16. L

All of this is just my opinion, but .. I will say that most of the solaris or zfs sales or support people I know appear to be still there today. I also watch solaris jobs openings and a bunch of support jobs were posted recently. Just from the short time I was at oracle, they like to make...
  17. L

My point earlier is that there is way too much investment in zfs. Oracle is not the kind of company to sue or force IP over tiny communities. I do wonder whats happening at WD now. If someone grows big enough to be "shiny" i think then oracle will try to stop them. Think of the big companies...
  18. L

IMHO I think zfs and all other solaris goodies will live on in the open. Especially now with oracle not being a roadblock. The thing about it too.. is that solaris isn't just going to die.. Geesh people still run things like DOS.
  19. L

OpenIndiana 2017.04

illumian was supposed to be an illumos distro with debian packaging. The only problem with that is that the solaris packaging was invented by ian(of debian). It actually died or was killed by the nexenta developers the day before it launched. Illumian was killed not ian.. well ian was probably...
  20. L

FreeNAS 11

So far 11 appears to just be mostly the same feature functionality as 9.10 with a new gui