Search results

1. B

FreeNAS is becoming TrueNAS Core

Hi lostmind, iX also ran a small web hosting business for a short time during the early 2000s, so I'm familiar with some of the challenges. Margins were thin back then, so I can only imagine what they're like today. Was your inquiry for TrueNAS, a FreeNAS system, or just general purpose...
  2. B

If you're talking about hardware only for a one-off system, I'd tend to agree with you. Used/refurbed hardware, eBay, etc can definitely save you money on a DIY whitebox SuperMicro as opposed to, say, buying the same SuperMicro server built by iXsystems. Of course, that's tough for companies...
  3. B

As it's architected today, HA wouldn't be useful if licensed apart from the TrueNAS hardware, unfortunately. In order for it to reliable and for us to guarantee uptime, the code requires intimate knowledge of the specific NTB bus, midplane, SAS expander, etc. As for support, we do offer it if...
  4. B

Thanks for your support! Hoping you love your Mini XL+. You'll be happy to know that version 12.0 (when the name changes from FreeNAS to TrueNAS CORE) will actually have *more* features than what you have today. We currently only segment a handful of enterprise-specific features onto TrueNAS...
  5. B

Sorry, I missed this comment initially. Hopefully you'll like our two tiered model even better ;-) 1. Free: ~90% of features 2. Commercial: full product features & support
  6. B

Thanks for the feedback! Glad that helped you. We are more or less making that a quarterly thing now where we pick a couple of configurations, build up inventory, and then give them special pricing for the quarter. We announce them on the monthly FreeNAS/TrueNAS/iX newsletter list. They...
  7. B

Ha, I love a good conspiracy theory! Luckily, the FreeBSD and ZFS licenses are totally compatible, so we don't have issues like Linux OS's do. Ditching "Free" for us is mostly about gaining efficiencies, but it's also about 'ditching' the stigma around the word "Free" that tends to diminish...
  8. B

We work with two major hardware ODMs for TrueNAS products. We do use SuperMicro motherboards with two of the four TrueNAS models, but the rest of the hardware is not SuperMicro. We'd love to do a failure rate comparison, but it's hard when other vendors don't tend to make the info public...
  9. B

I understand that sentiment. The issue is that the systems are highly configurable. That said, we do give rough pricing guidance in the "Specs & Pricing" tab here: https://www.ixsystems.com/truenas/ Would love your opinion on a better way to do it. I'm also curious which enterprise storage...
  10. B

We go deeper into the "why" behind the change here if you're interested: FreeNAS and TrueNAS are Unifying - iXsystems, Inc. - Enterprise Storage & Servers
  11. B

This unification will make that more possible, but we don't segment many of the features between the two today, other than the stuff that requires specific hardware to work. Which features would you like to access via license, hypothetically? Our goal is to democratize enterprise storage...
  12. B

Overpriced compared to what? :-) TrueNAS is more affordable than the systems from the companies you've mentioned, and the hardware is more capable. It is also more affordable than their software subscriptions. If I'm wrong I'd love to know about it! Feel free to send me a direct message...
  13. B

Here's an overview comparison between FreeNAS Certified Systems (using basic FreeNAS software) and TrueNAS systems today: https://static.ixsystems.co/uploads/2019/07/StorageProductMatrix_Datasheet_WEB.pdf In a nutshell, the differences between TrueNAS and FreeNAS are mostly about High...
  14. B

FreeNAS Corral Canned – Development Essentially Halted for Now

I appreciate the understanding and support, Nnyan. Floating in a sea of bad options, we ultimately chose the one that was best for FreeNAS users, even though we knew we were going to displease a lot of them.
  15. B

Sorry, missed this post. Are you referring to the download page on freenas.org? FreeNAS Corral was pulled from there last week. Or, are you referring to the updater in the UI? It will still be available for those that want to play with it, preview features, give feedback, etc.
  16. B

This is great feedback, STH, and a perception we're fully aware of. Over the years, and under previous leadership, the FreeNAS releases became what I liked to call a "QA crutch". It was easier to release, then fix, than it was to develop a strong internal QA framework for FreeNAS. All of that...
  17. B

FreeNAS Corral has a lot of great concepts that we'll be implementing in the next version. We've received other positive feedback on the new replication engine, so I don't see why we wouldn't pull that over.
  18. B

Fair questions, Pri. I'll have to walk a fine line between transparency and professional decorum here. We had two development teams at iX during the creation of FreeNAS Corral. One worked on the currently shipping product (FreeNAS 9.x, and the enterprise version, TrueNAS), and one on our...
  19. B

If I only had a time machine, Drewy...I would probably name it "FFS" ;-) Given two essentially non-awesome options, we had to choose the one was best for our users, despite the short term pain we would cause.
  20. B

Thanks, Potatospud. Candor and transparency are indeed the double-edged swords we live by. Please pardon our bleeding at the moment :) You're right to be miffed. While I obviously can't give you your time back, I can promise that you'll have the option of jails *or* containers in FreeNAS in...