Search results

1. B

Brocade Inter-VLAN routing on some but not all? Help

Oh dear, I think you're missing some necessary steps. For starter, I'm going to define my terms here to avoid confusion. ER= Edge Router, whatever router+firewall device/software you are using to reach the WAN/Internet and enforcing firewall policies. ICX = the Brocade ICX switch. Note: once...
  2. B

IPv4 vs IPv6 connection quality

Any, despite the above FUD I've had great success with IPv6 on my home network and private VPNs to several locations. I've converted as much as I could to IPv6. Right now my ICX6610 reports roughly 80% of traffic is IPv6. Just IPv4-only websites and IOT devices that don't support IPv6 (IP...
  3. B

Thanks, ChatGPT. :rolleyes: Can you back up this claim? I very much doubt this to be fact. Undeniably false. Yes, IPv6 has a larger headers (until you add in QoS, VLAN tags, etc). This will affect absolute maximum data transfer rates between hosts when comparing IPv4 and IPv6 but the...
  4. B

When properly setup, IPv6 and IPv4 packet loss should be 0. My IPv6 problems generally stem from dealing with the occasional IPv6 prefix change from my ISP and ensuring reliability of IPv6 on my LAN - which means I had to deploy ULA which complicated some things.
  5. B

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Sounds to me like you need to tell your switch which VLAN is used for management traffic. Also, if you are in switch-only firmware (which is fine despite what others may tell you, if you are not using or going to use L3 functionality), do this: vlan 50 management-vlan default-gateway...
  6. B

FWIW, I use the switch firmware on my 6450 since my 6610 does router duty. The switch-only firmware works with IPv6 better when the prefixes may change (i,e, home network). The switch-only firmware will auto configure IPv6 advertised prefixes with SLAAC like any other end devices. The router...
  7. B

o_O Off topic, but I made the switch to a HA active-standby Kea DHCP setup. Took a while to figure things out for BIND DNS updates, but got it going and I like it.
  8. B

Nope sure didn't but thanks for the info I'll start migrating soon.
  9. B

I literally just figured out how to do this last week properly. I am using ISC's DHCP server on FreeBSD for IPv4 DHCP assignments and now the same for IPv6 DNS, NTP, and TFTP assignments. ipv6 dhcp-relay destination <primary ipv6 dhcp server> ipv6 dhcp-relay destination <secondary ipv6 dhcp...
  10. B

This.... BUT All hope is not lost. I've been trying to maximize my IPv6 use as of late and all but IoT gear that simply completely lacks IPv6 support are running IPv6 using my ICX 6610 as my core L3 router. Some caveats... As you've found out, the ICX routing firmware does not handle...
  11. B

Another weird routing issue - OPNSense + OpenVPn

It's probably something dead stupid simple, but I have been living with this problem for quite a while now. So here's the situation.... In OPNSense, I have an OpenVPN Client connected to Private Internet Access. It is configured to not pull routes. I manually set a only one specific host to...
  12. B

Forwarding SSDP/UPnP through L3 switch VLANs

The packet capture is from the laptop running miniupnpc which I am using to emulate a gaming console requesting UPnP. I figure I won't be getting a console to work before I get this to work and I can control this much easier. I thought about doing this, too, but was hoping to avoid it. The...
  13. B

FWIW, here is the packet capture from the device sending out the UPnP request: tcpdump: listening on em0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 262144 bytes 18:43:53.076757 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 2, id 5906, offset 0, flags [none], proto UDP (17), length 165 ) 172.23.10.15.27055 >...
  14. B

The TTL was my first thought, too. I installed miniupnpc on a Linux laptop and a FreeBSD PC on the same VLAN. Monitoring the outbound traffic when I run upnpc -r <somerandomport> I see a TTL of 2 in the SSDP packets. Interestingly, I do not see the packets on the opposite device on the same...
  15. B

I have a Brocade ICX 6610 as my core L3 switch on VLAN routing duty. All internet-bound traffic is routed through OPNSense. UPnP is becoming a requirement for the amount of game systems I and my house-mates have. Is there any way to get SSDP multicast traffic from one VLAN to another on...
  16. B

IPv6 Routing issue - can't figure it out

Quick update with no proper solution: I rebooted the OPNSense server about 6 times in total now and on the 6th reboot, IPv6 routing to WAN is working again. I don't see anything different but here's the currently working OPNSense routing table: Internet6: Destination...
  17. B

IPv6 Routing issue - can't figure it out

A few months back I had to re-install OPNSense on a repurposed Checkpoint box due to a weird upgrade bug. I restored from a backup and had to do a few tweaks and all was well. Since then, whenever I update or reboot my OPNsense box, it is hit or miss if IPv6 routing works from my LAN to the...
  18. B

SQL Novice Advice

Thank you for the feedback. This is what I was wondering...what is more common in the "professional" side: do the processing in SQL or in the program handling the response.
  19. B

SQL Novice Advice

Good point. I am using MariaDB 10.6 with InnoDB. I also don't know how a join with group by would help (given I don't fully understand what I have even done yet). The query is in a PHP page and the output is in an HTML table. An example of the PHP output: <table> <thead>...
  20. B

SQL Novice Advice

I've been learning SQL in my free time and am trying to put it to practice by creating a flight logbook PHP page and Python for terminal entry. I want to know if this structure and query setup makes sense to those with more practical knowledge. There's alot of IFs and not sure if it'd be wiser...