Search results

1. TheBloke

How to remove heatsink on Intel X520-DA2?

Hey all Quick question: I'm in the process of making my server much quieter with low-RPM quiet fans. As part of this, I am refreshing the thermal paste on any heatsinks I can. All my components are used and potentially many years old, and I have expensive enthusiast thermal paste, so I...
  2. TheBloke

LGA1366 - mismatched RAM across 2 CPUs? (Tyan S7012)

Hi all I have a Tyan S7012 motherboard with 2 x 5670 CPUs (Westmere, 2.93ghz) and 18 RDIMM slots. I started out with a total of 120GB RAM - 12 x 8GB + 6 x 4GB, arranged as 8, 8, 4GB in each of the 6 channels (3 channels per CPU * 2 CPUs). I wanted to get in as much RAM as I could reasonably...
  3. TheBloke

Solaris 11.3: IPS change-facet in global zone not inherited in non-global zones

Hi all I am using pkg change-facet to change version-lock to False on a large number of packages, such that I can update these packages to their latest version. This is working OK in the global zone. The problem is that these changed facets are not being inherited into my non-global zones. So...
  4. TheBloke

Dell PowerEdge T710 (1CTXG) non-standard power usable with normal PSU?

Hi everyone I am considering possibly replacing the Tyan S7012 motherboard in my 2U home fileserver/NAS to get more PCI-E slots. My current mobo has 4 x PCI-E 2.0 x8 + 1 x PCI-E 1.1 x4, but the x4 slot has turned out to be of even more questionable usage than 1.1 x4 would already suggest, as...
  5. TheBloke

Conflict between LSI in PCI-E 1.1 x4 slot and onboard SATA2 ports

Hi all Firstly, this is possibly a motherboard problem so it might belong in the mobo forum; but my symptoms relate only to disks and HBAs, so I hope it's OK being here. I have a Tyan S7012 motherboard, LGA1366 chipset. This motherboard has 4 x PCI-E 2.0 x8 slots and 1 x PCI-E 1.1 x4 slot...
  6. TheBloke

Cut-out notch power socket in Quanta switch (C15 cable?)

Hi guys I just bought a used Quanta LB4M and Quanta LB6M switch. The LB6M works no problem, but I can't even plug in the LB4M which is a rather more basic problem than I ever imagined I would have. The issue is that it has a power socket I've never seen before, which has a plastic...
  7. TheBloke

Powering a PCI-E SAS expander without a PCI-E slot? Theoretically possible to make an adapter?

Hi all I'm thinking of adding at least one SAS expander to my setup, as I am currently using 4 x LSI cards - and therefore 4 x PCI-E 2.0 slots - to run 28 x 2TB SATA3 drives. I know that I can put more drives on fewer cards without losing performance, but as I have a low-profile case I can't...
  8. TheBloke

ZFS volumes used by iSCSI showing double space usage in zfs list?

Hi all I just started testing iSCSI volumes from my Solaris 11.3 server to my Windows 10 workstation. It's working great, and was super easy to setup. But I am seeing one very confusing thing: zfs list always reports far more data used in the ZFS volume than I have actually created. I...
  9. TheBloke

ZFS: Partitioning drives = write cache disabled?

Hi all I'm hoping to get a high-performance PCI-E SSD to add to my home Solaris 11.3 file server/NAS. Specifically, a 1.2TB LSI Nytro Warp drive. (Forum thread here.) This device is an LSI 2308 with 6 x 200GB SSDs, which by default are configured as a hardware RAID-0. But I believe it is...
  10. TheBloke

ZFS read caching with SSD: is cache used as well as storage, or instead?

Hi all I am upgrading my Solaris 11.3 home server/NAS. I have 27 x 2TB SATA3 drives, which will be configured as three 9-drive VDEVs; either 3 x RAIDZ2 or 3 x RAIDZ3, I haven't decided yet. I also plan to add a couple of SSDs for SLOG and read cache, and my question for this thread is about...
  11. TheBloke

Best 2 x 10G performance on older system: 2 x single vs 1 x dual-port card?

Hi all I am wanting to add 2 x 10G ports to my workstation and server. My question is: is there any potential difference, positive or negative, between doing this via one dual-port card (in my case, X520-DA2) versus 2 x single-port card (X520-DA1.) The cards will go in PCIE 2.0 x8 slots, so...
  12. TheBloke

Diskless Windows 10 workstation booted from NAS - possible? iSCSI? SMB?

Hi all I'm in the process of a major upgrade to my home NAS. The server runs Solaris 11.3, with hardware of: 2 x 2.93GHz hex-core LGA1366 CPUs, 72GB RAM (considering upgrading to 120GB) and 32 ports of LSI 6GB SAS/SATA (2 x 2008, 2 x 2308). I currently have 27 x 2TB 7.2k SATA drives...
  13. TheBloke

Going 10G - RJ45 copper via Intel X540?

Hi all I've spent the last several weeks majorly upgrading my home file server, which is now 2 x hex-core Xeon X5670 CPUs with 72GB RAM, providing 24 x 2TB 7200rpm HDD on 4 x LSI controllers, running Solaris 11.3. I might also add an SSD or two for ZIL and/or cache. Having provided myself...
  14. TheBloke

smartmontools / smartcli causing software errors on disks whenever used?

Hi all I recently started using smartmontools, installed via the CSWsmartmontools package on my Solaris 11.3 server. I am particularly interested in this for temperature measuring of my 24 HDDs - in particular the 12 that are in my external JBOD chassis, which doesn't have much airflow between...
  15. TheBloke

Solaris won't shutdown (Tyan S7012 LGA1366 mobo)

Hi all I'm running Solaris 11.3 on a Tyan S7012 LGA1366 motherboard with 2 x X5670 2.93ghz CPUs and 72GB of ECC RAM. I just got the Tyan mobo in the last few days. It works fine except for one annoyance: when I shutdown the server (shutdown -i5), it won't power down. It gets to "Syncing...
  16. TheBloke

LSI devices appear as IDE in motherboard boot list?

Hey all I'm doing a major upgrade on my home fileserver, and have finally upgraded from using cheap Marvell cards and mobo ports to having enough LSI ports for all my HDDs (a total of 28 ports available for 26 drives + boot SSD.) In total I have four LSI cards - 1 x 9211-4i (SAS2004), 2 x...
  17. TheBloke

SAS2308 vs 2008 - any big value in upgrading, besides PCIE b/w?

Here's my question in a nutshell: what are the benefits, if any, in upgrading SAS2008 cards to SAS2308 cards, besides offering PCIE 3.0 bandwidth and being capable of handling more devices (1024 vs 512)? If you had a server that only supported PCIE 2.0, containing several SAS2008 cards running...
  18. TheBloke

Moving from Solaris 11.3 to OmniOS (or OpenIndiana): anything important to know?

Hi all I am currently running Solaris 11.3 on my home server. I went with Solaris 11 because I was a Solaris 10 + OpenSolaris admin for many years, so it is what I know. Plus I have a free license for Solaris 11, so licensing/patches are not a concern for me. But now I am thinking I made a...
  19. TheBloke

LSI 2308 (9217-8i) on Solaris 11.3?

Hey all I got my first LSI SAS HBA this week (LSI SAS 2008) and now want to get a second for my home file server running Solaris 11.3. I've found a good deal on a used LSI 9217-8i with the SAS 2308 chipset. It's priced the same as an OEM 9211-8i/SAS2008 but it's in the UK so I can get it...
  20. TheBloke

ZFS: zero reads on 2 disks of 6-drive RAIDZ2 : because of power-of-two data disks?

Hey all I'm in the process of building a new pool on my home Solaris 11.3 server. The final pool will be 16 x 2TB drives, configured as 2 x 8-drive RAIDZ2 for a total of 12 data drives and 4 parity. One complication is that I have a mixture of 4k and 512 sector drives, and so I've been...