Search results

1. B

Supermicro X7DBE+ stopped booting, IPMI sensors all off!

Yes, you can down flash the ipmi firmware. Don't attempt that with the bios on the board though. The SIMSOs do go duff too and sounds like that may be the case here. Hope your seller fixes you up on it.
  2. B

Supermicro X7DBE+ stopped booting, IPMI sensors all off!

We see that a lot at work. The BMC gets out of sync with the motherboard. Shut her down and give it a good long power pull (10-15 minutes). If that doesn't help then reflash the ipmi card. Don't save the settings and let it go back to defaults. If that doesn't help then maybe time to...
  3. B

BSOD when pulling disk from redundant array

That is a case of the expander backplane barfing and knocking all or most of the drives offline. If any error happens on the bus all the expander can do is reset itself and that interrupts comms to the drives. Raid cards of any brand usually get angry about that. That is why the hard core...
  4. B

ZFS mass storage server (no virtualization) recommendations

I've also done business with Unix Surplus. They accidentally sent me the wrong chassis on an order and made it right with little grief. The server they sent me works great. Will likely do business with them again down the road.
  5. B

Supermicro X10SL7-F won't power up anymore

Power pull it for at least 30 minutes. If that does not help, then time to pull the bios battery and let it sit for a while.
  6. B

NexentaStor Version 4 announced

Really curious to see how much more they gimp the Community edition, assuming they even bother to release one.
  7. B

New uATX Avoton? A1SAM-2750F

This may be more appropriate for the software section, but anyone know if OmniOS has driver support for the i354 NICs on these Avoton/Rangely boards? Supermicro has this coming Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 1U | 5018A-MHN4 and looking at downsizing my storage host into one of those...
  8. B

Migrating from Nexentastor to OmniOS/Napp-it

Thanks gents. Knew I would get an answer here :-D
  9. B

Migrating from Nexentastor to OmniOS/Napp-it

Been doing some searching on the various threads here, in the giant ZFS storage thread at the [H], and elsewhere, and haven't been able to find a solid answer to this somewhat nagging question. I currently have a NexentaStor CE system running as my NAS which I am quite fond of other than...
  10. B

Best RAID controller for new virtualization setup

Straight up KVM would be a good fit; you can then just run virt-manager on your Linux system and connect to your hypervisor and manage the vm's from there. This is what I do for my hypervisors that run CentOS... I connect into them from virt-manager on my Fedora workstation and or use virsh from...
  11. B

Tapatalk issues on Nexus?

Reading the board on tapatalk pro on my Xoom right now. Works fine for me.
  12. B

Virtual Windows workstation run on a headless CentOS server running KVM with ...

Fedora still defaults to ext4 as does CentOS but both have xfs available, Fedora also has btrfs available as a tech preview if you want to play with it.
  13. B

Recommendation sought for home server

I will second the Kingston. That is all we use at work in the SM boxes there and its all I use in my personal server stuffs. Just check your board model with their memory finder on the Kingston site and then search for that memory model on New egg, Superbiiz, Amazon, Wiredzone, etc.
  14. B

Virtual Windows workstation run on a headless CentOS server running KVM with ...

Fedora will have the newest qemu/KVM/etc bits the soonest as CentOS = RHEL for that purpose. Depends on what you want to do, really. Just keep in mind that a given Fedora release won't receive updates past 6 months a given release +1 and you'll have to update. With their new fedup tool that is...
  15. B

Software VS Hardware [Router/Firewall/Loadbalancer]

The open source Vyatta does not have the web interface or support from Brocade. Honestly pfsense will be easier to work with unless you have some Cisco/Juniper/etc command line experience.
  16. B

Toshiba 3TB disks

I have had 2 of the 1tb and 2 of the 3tb DT01ACA series drives In my micro server for some time and they have been great drives, nice and quiet and run cool. Just buy them someplace other than the Egg and you'll be fine. -b
  17. B

Good for pfSense?

My pfsense system is one of the 1u Supermicro Atom D525 boxen that Patrick reviewed here previously. They will actually take 8gb of RAM. It Is a sweet little box and keeps up with my 50/25 FiOS with no problem. Probably will be on sale soon with the newer Avoton and Rangeley models coming out...
  18. B

Create your own router/firewall/content filtering/protection for free

If a real SMB with less than 50 IPs behind the firewall, you could probably load Sophos UTM home edition on your own hardware which would do most of what you want. Otherwise pfsense, smoothwall or ipcop are probably the best you can do. -b
  19. B

WD RED Drive About to Fail?

All of the Zfs info I've seen recommends weekly scrubbing of arrays composed of consumer grade disks. It recommends biweekly for enterprise sata and monthly for SAS. The Reds do have the TLER but are otherwise a Green mechanism so are consumer drives. I also have been following this for my...
  20. B

1U storage server with 12x3.5" drive slots!!!

Ha. Thanks tjk, figures it is hiding in the one spot I didn't look in. Wanna run those past our hardware guys at the office, a few of our big Hadoop using customers would probably really like these. -b-