14u Cabinet For Home Office

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I'm looking into possibly putting a 14u rack cabinet in my home office to consolidate all my tech into one location and save space. I came across this Middle Atlantic rack. Has anyone had any experience with these racks who can speak to the acoustics & cooling ability? Noise and heat dissipation are a concern of mine.

PTRK-1426 W/ PLEXI DOOR, LAM TOP

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Make sure your servers can fit in a depth of 24.5 inches, which is somewhat shorter than common full depth servers

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Make sure your servers can fit in a depth of 24.5 inches, which is somewhat shorter than common full depth servers
Yea none of my servers are/will be more than 21-22" in depth so I should just barely make it. I can't fit the racks that fit full depth (28-32") servers so this is about as big as I can go.

Paul Bommel

Oct 30, 2015
Thanks for the link Paul. Unfortunately the only racks I see on that site that are less than 22u and the depth I need are wall mount racks which I'm not interested in. I need a rack that will sit on the floor with casters.

14-18u is what I'm looking for.
Ahh, seems I missed that part. The 13U was only "casterable"...

This one is 16u (H), 36" (D) (intern 32.25") and is shown with casters:

16U Equipment Racks - CR5013

Maybe you remember the rackmount mart from your "storage server chassis for ssd"-thread. ;)

Plenty of choice:

Rackmount Mart - Server Rack - Cabinet Server Rack

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
I'm looking into possibly putting a 14u rack cabinet in my home office to consolidate all my tech into one location and save space. I came across this Middle Atlantic rack. Has anyone had any experience with these racks who can speak to the acoustics & cooling ability? Noise and heat dissipation are a concern of mine.

PTRK-1426 W/ PLEXI DOOR, LAM TOP
Have you taken a look at Skeletek racks? They're a fraction of the cost, and are an open design. I've had this one (Dantrak Net - New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.) for about 5 years now and I love it. I keep my network gear on 2 post and my server gear on 4 post.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
If you are spending that type of money go with a startech its 2" external depth past your 28 but is a very nice rack
Soundproof Server Rack with Casters - 12U

or see if you can git the netshelter cx mini
I have looked at that soundproof cabinet but it's just too big overall for my office. It's unfortunate because I'd love something silent like that.

Have you taken a look at Skeletek racks? They're a fraction of the cost, and are an open design. I've had this one (Dantrak Net - New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.) for about 5 years now and I love it. I keep my network gear on 2 post and my server gear on 4 post.
I've considered open air racks but since this rack is going to be in an open door office right off my living room noise reduction is a major priority.

What about tripplite? I have one of their 12u racks and it's great they make a 15 as well
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017YUBH1E/
Do they make anything a few inches deeper that also features rolling casters?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I have looked at that soundproof cabinet but it's just too big overall for my office. It's unfortunate because I'd love something silent like that.

I've considered open air racks but since this rack is going to be in an open door office right off my living room noise reduction is a major priority.

Do they make anything a few inches deeper that also features rolling casters?
they sell a caster accessory kit for this one SmartRack 12U UPS Depth Wall Mount Rack Enclosure Cabinet with Clear Acrylic Window Hinged Back (SRW12USDPG) | Tripp Lite
which is 24.5 deep it's available at CDW and so is the caster kit
Tripp Lite 12U Wall Mount Rack Enclosure Cabinet Hinged Deep Acrylic Window - SRW12USDPG - Racks and Enclosures - CDW.com

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Oh sweet, that looks like a very solid option then considering the price. It sucks it's not available in the 15u though. I'd like to have extra room for further expansion.

Also I can't tell from the pics but what are the cooling options? Are those dual fan mounts on the top?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
What about something like this. My only concern would be cooling but I don't have much experience with server rack cooling.

chilipepperz

Mar 17, 2016
I wonder if you can add sound deadening material like the startech 12U to another rack and if it'd work.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
What about something like this. My only concern would be cooling but I don't have much experience with server rack cooling.
Wow the dimensions of that rack cabinet look IDEAL! I too am worried about the cooling though. Hopefully someone else with some experience cooling small rack cabinets can chime in on this.

I wonder if you can add sound deadening material like the startech 12U to another rack and if it'd work.
That's a very interesting idea. I looked hard at that StarTech cabinet because I do really like the idea of the sound proof feature but the cabinet itself was just too big and wide. I wonder if anyone else has done something like this (putting their own sound dampening materials in a rack).

Reactions: chilipepperz

chilipepperz

Mar 17, 2016
That's a very interesting idea. I looked hard at that StarTech cabinet because I do really like the idea of the sound proof feature but the cabinet itself was just too big and wide. I wonder if anyone else has done something like this (putting their own sound dampening materials in a rack).
That one pictured is only a 12U so it won't meet your requirements. I've thought about doing this myself but I haven't tried.