Server 2016 TP 4 now available

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
you and me and 10000000 other IT professionals

There are things that I cannot tell and things that are not told to me...

Chris

Reactions: Chuntzu

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
The go live date has not been decided yet. If I had to take a stab in the dark guess, I would assume around the time of Ignite since they moved the date of the conference to the end of September.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
Couple of cool things I took from the list.

1. Pcie passthrough, thought it was funny they mentioned in a blog post that they had this feature in 2009-2010 but didn't implement it until now due to the overwhelming number of requests (though the do go on to explain why did didn't implant it and it makes sense) so for all you all in one guys get pumped about server 2016.
2. Remotefx 1gb of dedicated vram and 1gb shared. Possible remote gaming ish or professional application use in vms.
3. @cessmith9999 mixed redundancy storage spaces layout (I may have screwed up the wording on this) so mirrored write and read cache and single or dual parity hdd in storage behind it. Very cool feature that I just set up with vms and storage spaces direct. Spoiler alert just got my two chassis in to start demoing storage spaces direct on real hardware.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
I think ms is taking their time with releases. They want more customers to move to their azure platform.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
Couple of cool things I took from the list.

3. @cessmith9999 mixed redundancy storage spaces layout (I may have screwed up the wording on this) so mirrored write and read cache and single or dual parity hdd in storage behind it. Very cool feature that I just set up with vms and storage spaces direct. Spoiler alert just got my two chassis in to start demoing storage spaces direct on real hardware.

cool.... now with REFS... you can also try Erasure Encoding as a new parity method.

Chris

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
I will hopefully have success on Tuesday with the setup. Once that is working in can Coble together a bit of a how to.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
@Chuntzu
I used hyper-v vm , to come up the cluster deployment strategic and powershell scripts.
Then I deploy the lab to baremetal hardware.
WDS deploy OS ( not currently with WS16 ) to physical host using "boot to vhd" method,
reason is I could replaced the OS vhd by copying a new sysprep OS vhd.

Using ethernet mac address to set the hostname, then using hostname to configure host personality (example S2DFS1)
Host reboot after sysprep, then execute all the deployment powershell scripts, ( network config, validate cluster, create cluster)
Few minutes later, the end result is a working cluster.

Reactions: Chuntzu and PnoT

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
I use SCVMM 2012 R2 for baremetal deployment and the setup of my Hyper-V hosts, VMs, and networking. It's a pain to setup the first time around but once you have everything in place it's super easy to spin up anything you want in a matter of a few clicks.

Reactions: Chuntzu