Advice on building a home server.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Hello, I came to this forum for advice on building a home server. Here are the specs I have in mind (I will use some spare parts I will have when I upgrade my desktop PC):
Build's name: Home Server for learning
Operating System: Microsoft Hyper-V 2012 R2
CPU: Intel Core 2 DUO E8400
Motherboard: Asus P5QC
Chassis: Dont know yet, but probably a cheap 35$ ATX case (not yet bought).
Drives:
Western Digital Bare Drives 500GB WD Blue SATA III 5400 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive WD5000LPVX (OS and VM disk) (not yet bought)
Seagate 2TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST2000DM001) (x2) (1: NAS files here 2: images of OS partitions of PCs of the network) (not yet bought).
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB kit) DDR3 RAM
Add-in cards: 4 USB 3.0 ports PCI-Express card
Power Supply: Generic 300w PSU
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1 GB DDR3 HDMI/DVI-I/VGA PCI-Express Graphics Card
UPS: Dont know yet.
Other bits: Dont know yet

Usage Profile: Web server, VPN server, file/NAS server, print server, backups, torrent server, home automation, web cache, firewall/advanced router/Gateway, media server (for streaming content), home security.

I want to use virtualization for this things. Software questions I think goes to another subforum, I will not elaborate here.
The OS I think is the best option for the hardware I want to use, I dont have money to buy server specific parts, and want to use those spare parts I will have also.
I was thinking, and for the Hyper-V installation and VMs will be enough the WD drive I mentioned, is a notebook HD, I thought that will be perfect, but maybe the VMs will struggle a lot with this drive?, any advice here?.
The two Seagate 2TB drives are:
1: for the files of my house for the NAS/media server system
2: for backing up each weekend images of the OS partition of my home networks PCs and for backing up other important files from those PCs.
3: I have an external portable 2TB hard disk that I will use as external backup of the first hard drive content each month or each two weeks, that I will connect through USB 3.0.
The PSU part, I have two PSUs that came with my case, and another one I bought, but they are not from known brands for people outside southamerica where I live, Satellite and Mtek, but they will work for powering the system.
I know that a GPU is not needed, but for the initial setup it will be usefull I think, and other times if I need direct Access to the server.
This UPS part is the most important for the country where I live has blackouts often. Is there a way that the server can control the UPS and shut it down itself safely if the batteries are running out of charge?. Which cheap UPS supports this?.
Thanks for the future advice :D I think I wrote this in the correct sub-forum.

swerff

Jan 13, 2015
I just moved from a amd 2.4ghz to a freebie dell board Intel duo 2 7300, 2.66

I didn't have driver headaches like the Microsoft world. I just swapped Motherboards, and everything booted and mounted. Raid arrays even assembled, uuid is a life saver!

Running Debian, strictly mdadm box with a few arrays mounted. Nfs/samba/owncloud/plex. A raid 5, a fat raid 6, and a small quadrupled mirror array for pictures/vids of family.

24x3tb barracudas for the parity arrays, a single 4x500gb mirrored array (Seagate, Hitachi, maxtor and a wd, ( mdadm doesn't care)) . A 1gb USB pen drive for os(12 USB ports, may as well use one for os), and a ssd for /var and plex indexing.

Cpu keeps up mostly. Better then what I had, but not the best. But best is free!

Good luck on your build. It seems promising.

Last edited: