[US-NJ][WTB] 1U (or larger) rack mounted appliance to use as a firewall for OPNSense. Fanless + low power ideal

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
If you have access to a 3d printer
This is seriously becoming more and more of a requirement / good idea for me. I really need to look into getting my own printer but I want to get one that is as easy to use and hands off as possible lol. Going to do deep dive research on this because there's too many good ideas I could execute on with my own printer.

Reactions: nexox

nexox

May 3, 2023
Going to do deep dive research on this because there's too many good ideas I could execute on with my own printer.
Buying a printer and printing stuff is easy, but if you don't already have some experience in CAD then making your own custom parts will involve learning quite a few new things.

In any case, don't get too tempted by larger/more complicated printers at first, start with a Mini size (roughly 180mm cube print volume) from a reliable brand, trust me you can do quite a lot with something that size.

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
Buying a printer and printing stuff is easy, but if you don't already have some experience in CAD then making your own custom parts will involve learning quite a few new things.

In any case, don't get too tempted by larger/more complicated printers at first, start with a Mini size (roughly 180mm cube print volume) from a reliable brand, trust me you can do quite a lot with something that size.
Appreciate the advice. I only speak to models I see readily available online ready to print where right when I see it I wish I could print it right then and there lol

That would be the start. Then eventually maybe seeing how I am modify such models.

One step at a time as always!

nexox

May 3, 2023
There are plenty of services that will print a model and ship it to you, and the price of a printer and some filament will pay for lots of those parts, main downside is turnaround time, but if you aren't trying to iterate on designs that's less of an issue.

I have also heard that there are some public libraries with printers available but I don't know how that works.

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
There are plenty of services that will print a model and ship it to you, and the price of a printer and some filament will pay for lots of those parts, main downside is turnaround time, but if you aren't trying to iterate on designs that's less of an issue.

I have also heard that there are some public libraries with printers available but I don't know how that works.
Yeah I had gone down this route initially but for the number of things I wanted to print it started to become somewhat costly. To the point where it feels like a better investment to just do it myself, as Thanos would say.

Plus it's just a great excuse to get into something I've been interested in for a long time but didn't have enough of a "need" for... I totally NEED it now! Easy!

nexox

May 3, 2023
Just try not to let the 3D printing become another out of control hobby if you just want parts for other hobbies, spend a little extra for a printer that works well out of the box and then resist the urge to buy 75 spools of filament.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
To the point where it feels like a better investment to just do it myself, as Thanos would say.
And we all know how that worked out, right? :p

Seriously, spending up to $500 on a good 3D printer (Bambu, Creality, Prusa, etc.) will end up saving you a lot of money in the long run if you plan on printing even a few items. Where I used to work, we had an HP Sprout (3D scanner plus the ability to wrap a digital model around a physical object) plus a lot of 3D printers. But, you often don't need to design your own object. There are thousands (millions?) of designs available for free download.

nexox

May 3, 2023
There are thousands (millions?) of designs available for free download.
Yet I can barely ever find an existing model for my projects, in the rare case someone has made something close, it often needs enough adjustment that it's easier to re-design from scratch.

• Sad
Reactions: Koop

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
And we all know how that worked out, right? :p
Haha I turned off the movie after he snapped his fingers. That was the end right!? But yeah plan to do more research into it.

@Koop did you get an adapter and how is it working for you?
I got one 2 drive adapter via Amazon and it works fine. I still have a few from aliexpress I plan to try out for different slot sizes. First impression is definitely add more cooling.

Reactions: slidermike