[US-NJ][WTB] x16 and x8 PCIe to U.2 adapters, HGST 800GB SAS SSDs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
Hello STH friends,

Looking for PCIe to U.2 adapters to use in both x16 and x8 slots.

1. 1U (or larger) rack mounted appliance to use as a firewall for OPNSense. Must be very quiet or fanless. low power draw expected.
  2. HGST 800GB SAS SSDs

Feel free to post here and/or DM me with what you may have. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

nexox

May 3, 2023
What kind of network speed do you need for the 1U router? I have most of an X7SPA system sitting on a shelf, missing the top plate of the chassis and a boot drive, but it's got dual 1G ports and worked for me as a router for a long time.

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
What kind of network speed do you need for the 1U router? I have most of an X7SPA system sitting on a shelf, missing the top plate of the chassis and a boot drive, but it's got dual 1G ports and worked for me as a router for a long time.
Just trying to do gigabit as that's my ISP speed. I'm no expert on all the features in OPNsense but I'd like to get something to start and learn.

Reactions: nexox and Samir

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
US or EU or which part of the world are you located? I have U.2 3.84TB (Samsung PM983 and Intel P4510) as well as SAS 1.92 and 3.84 15mm (different brands) but located in the EU.

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
US or EU or which part of the world are you located? I have U.2 3.84TB (Samsung PM983 and Intel P4510) as well as SAS 1.92 and 3.84 15mm (different brands) but located in the EU.
Ah I am US, I should've specified sorry. I'd still be interested unless we discover the shipping cost is prohibitive.

ccie4526

Jan 25, 2021
I'm using a repurposed/reimaged Dell VMware Edge 620 running pfS on a comcrap 1500/250Mbps service using the dual SFP+ ports for > 1Gbps speeds, and it's just loafing along. Damn near silent too. Can be had on the bay for around $75, more or less. Only thing missing is that it's not rackmount, but that's just because I didn't want to find/buy the rackmount kit.

Reactions: itronin and Samir

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I got 3 alerts today for 3.84TB Samsung PM863A (lowish endurance of 0.7DWPD), all at $250:

They aren't SAS, but it's tough to find larger SAS SSDs that don't have proprietary firmware.

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
I got 3 alerts today for 3.84TB Samsung PM863A. They aren't SAS, but it's tough to find larger SAS SSDs that don't have proprietary firmware.
Thank you for the heads up! I need to clean up my eBay alerts a bit.

I'm not crazy in thinking prices are pretty meh these days am I? Because this seems a bit more expensive than I'd like for that capacity.

Agreed on the SAS SSDs. I've gotten a few different models from different EMC arrays now. Two of the same model drive but different EMC part numbers. Had a few drives that couldn't do a SMART test via TrueNas I assume was due to proprietary firmware (which were all the same EMC part number and from the same appliance). I tried to update the firmware on them to match the ones that did do smart tests fine but didn't have any luck.

Would you happen to know the easiest way I could test if a SAS SSD is locked to a slower speed?

I looked around the forums here a bit to see if people had successfully updated the firmware on the model drives I had but didn't look like there was much success. I assume it's few and far between to have success with that.

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Would you happen to know the easiest way I could test if a SAS SSD is locked to a slower speed?
Sdparm might help to check if write cache enabled and what interface speed is set. Sometimes EMC sas drives are set to SAS2 even if the generic model can do SAS3.

Reactions: Koop

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
I got 3 alerts today for 3.84TB Samsung PM863A (lowish endurance of 0.7DWPD), all at $250:

They aren't SAS, but it's tough to find larger SAS SSDs that don't have proprietary firmware.
I've seen some 3.84TB SATA drives recently at around the same price too.

While these prices aren't great, they're still much better than a couple months back.

slidermike

May 7, 2023
I have one of these 4 u.2 to pcie cards and it rocks. I am recommending one of these to you based on your OP.
Couple of caveats.
#1 It is LONG... Make sure you have a case to fit. The sata power adapter is on the end so consider that clearance need as well. I used a 90* connector on mine in my full tower case and it barely fit.
#2 mobo must support bifurcation 4x4x4x4 to use all 4 ports. I believe you can use a dual port adapter if your mobo does not support that level of bifurcation.
#3 Consider airflow U.2 drives generate heat and you want it to leave the drive as to not thermal throttle under load.

Side note, my epyc mobo powered the card and 3 drives without attaching the end sata power connector. I did get the 4th drive and at the same time of installation, added the sata power connector to avoid any power to drive weirdness when they get under load.
This riser is pcie gen 4 though my p4510's are pcie gen 3

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
Appreciate the input. I am aware of all the requirements. It would be interesting to see a large adapter like this with some cooling feature of the ability to mount fan(s). Otherwise I planned to add some additional airflow manually.

It appears that the same adapter is on aliexpress for cheaper. It's what I was looking at but figured I'd ask on here first.

slidermike

May 7, 2023
If you have access to a 3d printer I would imagine you could print off some small fan brackets that the top screws for the hdd's that secure them to the riser. I have seen similar elsewhere for some hot running high speed nics.
For me, I went poor man cooling. Thermal pads and heat sink on each disk then a fan blowing from front to back. Def rigged but works and thats all that matters as the case is not a beauty contest contestant.

Be nice to see what you end up with. Good luck!