MEGA 2.5GbE Switch Guide Update with 21 New Models Added

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

is39

Oct 5, 2022
SF Bay Area
I do see some scenarios where i've benefited from the 1Gbps -> 10Gbps upgrade:
- backups (wired) - I needed to make a local backup and it was more convenient to do over the network; backup speed did indeed nearly double; and it would further speed up if/when I'd parallelise it to two drives; I could have used 2.5Gbps on the backup server, but since it had SFP+...
- backups (wireless) - when TimeMachine backups wired Mac I've seen noticeable improvement over 10Gbps; I suspect when I move to faster WiFi (and 2.5Gbps+ connected APs) backups for wireless Macs would improve.

So even in regular households there are some bulk data transfers which can benefit from 2.5Gbps/10Gbps upgrade, some.
Yet another example are laptop migrations, though those happen less often than backups :)

Nov 13, 2022
Again, most people are not moving around enough data to make 2.5Gbps useful. This is not as true for people who post here, but despite our buying habits, manufacturers would not make money if we were the only ones buying 2.5Gbps gear. Overall, though, people don't move large enough chunks of data from their NAS to a client system that 1Gbps isn't enough. Maybe for initial ingest or a full backup, but those are very rarely done.

I have 1Gbps business fiber to my home (no oversubscription), and the only use I get out of the extra 500Mbps since I upgraded is that Steam can download a bit faster. It won't saturate the ISP line, though. So, internal speeds of 2.5Gbps aren't likely much use when the end point of the connection is somewhere on the Internet. Overall, I've transferred about 10TB across my ISP link since my pfSense box was rebooted 124 days ago. That averages out to 7Mbps, or 0.7% utilization of my link, and I suspect I'm one of the larger users of home ISP bandwidth.

Even WiFi 6 can (in theory) use more than 1Gbps on a single access point. Even so, if you are streaming 4K video at 100Mbps (probably the biggest possible real-world, in-home use of bandwidth), that's easily 5-6 streams without touching a 2.5Gbps uplink. So, if you are outfitting a workplace, then, yeah, 2.5Gbps is a big deal. But for a home with fewer than 8 people, not so much.
If you need a REAL and noticeable area it makes a difference I would probably point to current AAA game titles on Steam, or console that have multi GB patches DAY ONE and later large DLC packs.. This is one area where I have noticed having a very fast connection has made a big difference and doing that over WiFi is even more convenient than trying to locate the router close to those devices to wire them.

kong

Dec 16, 2021
I'd still rather pay for a Netgear MS510TXPP for the security of not being made in China. It's generally not cheap (although I got a used one for $150 a while back), but it also has more features than any of the cheap switches:
  • 1x SFP+ (supports 1, 2.5, 5, and 10Gbit)
  • 1x RJ-45 (supports 1, 2.5, 5, and 10Gbit)
  • 2x RJ-45 (supports 1, 2.5, and 5Gbit and POE+)
  • 2x RJ-45 (supports 1 and 2.5Gbit and POE+)
  • 4x RJ-45 (supports 1Gbit and POE+)
  • Layer 2.5 managed (supports static IPv4 and IPv6 routes, VoIP, traffic shaping, etc.), with easy to find and apply firmware updates
  • Optionally rack mountable (comes with ears, but has stick-on feet, and is only 12" wide)
  • Has a fan, but I've never heard it run except on startup
  • A warranty that includes Lifetime Next Business Day Hardware Replacement
This switch will still be useful for years after the cheap 2.5Gbit switches have been replaced.
Non-PoE MS510TX is already end-of-life, so I am not expecting these switches to get (security) updates anymore.