Lenovo X710 flashing with Dell Firmware?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JeremiahCricket

Nov 23, 2021
I've read the forum posts and other resources on flashing branded X710 cards with generic Intel firmware. I have a different "problem". I have a Lenovo X710-DA4 SFP+ card which I'd like to use in a Dell rack server. However, Dell in their infinite wisdom ramps up fan speed to 100% when a non-Dell card is in any PCIe slot. Ideally, the X710-DA4 would have Dell firmware which should solve this issues. But, I have been unable to get Dell firmware load. I know a workaround is to set `System.ThermalSettings.ThirdPartyPCIFanResponse` to `0` using `racadm`.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I'm curious what you found about cross-flashing Intel firmware on OEM X710 cards? I was under the impression that it's something people generally don't do.

JeremiahCricket

Nov 23, 2021
It seems converting Dell or Intel branded to generic is much more common. I found several guides, these were the most helpful:
I do have several versions of the Dell firmware, the Lenovo firmware and the latest generic Intel firmware, all for RHEL as I prefer it over Windows. Modifying the instructions to flash the generic Intel firmware to the card but modified for the Dell files did not achieve any useful results, the `nvmupdate` utility simply refused to flash the card.

Reactions: blunden

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
It seems converting Dell or Intel branded to generic is much more common. I found several guides, these were the most helpful:
I do have several versions of the Dell firmware, the Lenovo firmware and the latest generic Intel firmware, all for RHEL as I prefer it over Windows. Modifying the instructions to flash the generic Intel firmware to the card but modified for the Dell files did not achieve any useful results, the `nvmupdate` utility simply refused to flash the card.
Thanks! :)

For some reason I didn't find those threads last year when I looked for whether it was possible and for some reason I got the impression that cross-flashing these Intel OEM cards wasn't really a thing.

I saw in another thread that at least the Dell firmware updater for the Intel e810 NICs might have checks to prevent you from flashing them in a non-Dell server. I also got a weird error when trying their Windows-based update but was able to work around it fairly easily.

Perhaps you are running into a similar lock?

JeremiahCricket

Nov 23, 2021
I am using Dell servers, that's why I'd prefer to run Dell firmware rather than generic firmware or some other branded firmware. If a Dell servers Dirac cannot read the cards temperature sensor, the fans are turned up to 100%. This results in unacceptable noise levels. There is an Dirac setting that allows one to change this behaviour to essentially exclude 3rd party cards from affecting fan speeds, but the preferred solution would be Dell firmware.

In my case the card is Lenovo branded but to be used in a Dell server.

I unpacked theDell firmware package and ran the `nvmupdate` tool directly. I also modified the `nvmupdate.cfg` file to try to convince the tool to flash Dell firmware onto a non-Dell card. I am suspecting one of two possible issues, the firmware file specified doesn't make sense and the tool does some ID checks between the cards current firmware, what's in the config file and may (I am not clear by the instructions) by what's embedded in the firmware file.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I am using Dell servers, that's why I'd prefer to run Dell firmware rather than generic firmware or some other branded firmware. If a Dell servers Dirac cannot read the cards temperature sensor, the fans are turned up to 100%. This results in unacceptable noise levels. There is an Dirac setting that allows one to change this behaviour to essentially exclude 3rd party cards from affecting fan speeds, but the preferred solution would be Dell firmware.

In my case the card is Lenovo branded but to be used in a Dell server.

I unpacked theDell firmware package and ran the `nvmupdate` tool directly. I also modified the `nvmupdate.cfg` file to try to convince the tool to flash Dell firmware onto a non-Dell card. I am suspecting one of two possible issues, the firmware file specified doesn't make sense and the tool does some ID checks between the cards current firmware, what's in the config file and may (I am not clear by the instructions) by what's embedded in the firmware file.
Oh, right. Yeah, then I don't know why it would fail. Seeing as cross-flashing the other way works, you would think it would work. :)

If you dig around in the nvmupdate executable, do you see any hints of Dell modifications to it or is it the same as the executable from the Intel package?

JeremiahCricket

Nov 23, 2021
I suppose I could try flashing a card to generic firmware. I did not proceed with attempting that as that wasn't my goal, Dell firmware was. When I look at one set of instructions to flash the generic firmware, it instructs to craft a `nvmupdate.cfg` file such as this:

Code:
CURRENT FAMILY: 1.0.0
CONFIG VERSION: 1.14.0

BEGIN DEVICE
DEVICENAME: X710-DA2
VENDOR: 8086
DEVICE: 1572
NVM IMAGE: X710DA2_9p40_CFGID7p2_OEMGEN_K97470.bin
OROM IMAGE: BootIMG.FLB
EEPID: 8000ECB7
REPLACES: 8000EE1C
RESET TYPE: POWER
END DEVICE
However, the `nvmupdate.cfg` from Dell has `BootIMG.FLB` specified for both `NVM` and `OROM` images. It fails to flash with an image error. The Dell `nvmupdate.cfg` file has another `NVM IMAGE` file line that has been commented out. The file in that line I have not been able to find. I have 3 different Dell firmware update packages, none of which have the commented file.

I didn't compare the `nvmupdate` executable using md5, but on the surface they behave identically. It does not seem to matter which binary I use, whether the one from the Intel generic package, the Lenovo package or the Dell package.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
The Dell `nvmupdate.cfg` file has another `NVM IMAGE` file line that has been commented out. The file in that line I have not been able to find. I have 3 different Dell firmware update packages, none of which have the commented file.

I didn't compare the `nvmupdate` executable using md5, but on the surface they behave identically. It does not seem to matter which binary I use, whether the one from the Intel generic package, the Lenovo package or the Dell package.
And the nvmupdate.cfg file in older versions of the Dell firmware also have that commented out line referencing a missing file?

Ok. My thinking was that they might've implemented an additional hardware check in there, but that assumes the OEMs actually get the source code for that executable and not just the compiled binary.

JeremiahCricket

Nov 23, 2021
And the nvmupdate.cfg file in older versions of the Dell firmware also have that commented out line referencing a missing file?
Yes, the 3 I checked.

Ok. My thinking was that they might've implemented an additional hardware check in there, but that assumes the OEMs actually get the source code for that executable and not just the compiled binary.
I took the firmware files and the hand crafted `nvmupdate.cfg` and tried flashing them with `nvmupdate` from the Lenovo package and the generic Intel package. Neither Dell, Lenovo, nor generic allowed it to happen.

• Sad
Reactions: blunden