Broadcom/LSI 9405W-16E - $98 + shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Megamax667

Apr 3, 2019

After tax+shipping for where I am it came out to $121. This is quite a steal for what this is. I suspect it hasn't been hit much because of the fact that it doesn't actually say 9405W-16E.

As far as I can tell the only thing NetApp about it is the sticker over the back ports; no custom firmware it seems. I was able to download firmware and storcli from broadcom here (hopefully that search link works correctly). I did it in efi with storcli.efi to flash the firmware and bios files no problem; not even really a "cross"-flash.

I'm *pretty* sure that any bracket for any of the 16E lsi/broadcom cards will fit this one. I just ordered one that said it was for the 9206-16E, but I haven't gotten it yet to actually say for sure it fits so be wary.

Only 7 left attow, sorry :p

bvd

Jan 2, 2021

After tax+shipping for where I am it came out to $121. This is quite a steal for what this is. I suspect it hasn't been hit much because of the fact that it doesn't actually say 9405W-16E.

As far as I can tell the only thing NetApp about it is the sticker over the back ports; no custom firmware it seems. I was able to download firmware and storcli from broadcom here (hopefully that search link works correctly). I did it in efi with storcli.efi to flash the firmware and bios files no problem; not even really a "cross"-flash.

I'm *pretty* sure that any bracket for any of the 16E lsi/broadcom cards will fit this one. I just ordered one that said it was for the 9206-16E, but I haven't gotten it yet to actually say for sure it fits so be wary.

Only 7 left attow, sorry :p
Off topic, but at least tangentially related -

With what broadcom has been doing to their website as far as "retiring" their legacy hw pages, I'm wondering if anyone has started a broadcom/LSI fw backup repo somewhere? I still have all my old FAE toolkit stuff from the LSI days, but it only goes up to the SAS2208 era (when I'd left lol), and seems like only a matter of time before broadcom tried to start scrubbing later downloads too

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Off topic, but at least tangentially related -

With what broadcom has been doing to their website as far as "retiring" their legacy hw pages...
I've never understood why companies do this. Typically these products are old enough to not affect sales of new products and the cost of serving the pages probably costs less than the process to remove them. It's so stupid and just hurts anyone trying to use what are in a lot of cases perfectly usable stuff. Companies should be forced to buy back all the legacy equipment for recycling too if they're going to do something like this. Then their waste will be their own problem and maybe that closed loop cycle will change things.

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
You bring up a really good point @bvd ... Probably be something as a community here we should take into our own hands.

Typically these products are old enough to not affect sales
See but that's where you're using reasonable logic. These are companies whose only motivation is profit. Even if it's a 0.000000000000000099% chance it could impact sales that's all the reasoning they need. Doesn't hurt them to take it all away. It only benefits them. I'm sure they couldn't give two shits otherwise.

perfectly usable stuff.
They would prefer you not see it that way. They want companies to replace hardware as quickly as people replace their iphones.

It's a sad state of affairs.

Reactions: Samir