EXPIRED Neat GPS clock SFP module - $20

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nexox

May 3, 2023
(or knows where they can be still be found)
They do come up occasionally on ebay, though I looked for months after missing one and this was the first batch I found, which didn't even match my saved searches intended to find it, I just browse that seller's items occasionally to see what new stuff they have and I immediately recognized it.

nexox

May 3, 2023
Interesting development... I cannot get my module out of my NIC, may have to remove the card from my machine to get better access or something.

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
I have only come across switches with this same type of thing built in, while looking for these modules after I saw one a few months ago but didn't jump on it quickly enough. They're generally kind of expensive. There may be more options but I was really looking for the SFP thing.
Yeah no worries just curious since I had no idea and figured you might know from research. Thanks!

Reactions: nexox

nexox

May 3, 2023
Well I got an antenna connected and some satellites locked... but there's no ntp, I can't query it over UDP and there's nothing I can find in the config menus or settings dump. I guess these do need a newer firmware.

nexox

May 3, 2023
Is there other NTP devices like this that aren't packed into an SFP?
I ran across another one: OTMC 100p same idea but it's all built into the GPS antenna and runs off PoE, which means it gets enough power for fancy things like a web interface. The price seems to be 'please contact us for details' but at least Omicron seems alright letting anyone register a support account to download firmware.

DrMuffinMD

Feb 5, 2017
Ah interesting okay- sorry you did say that in the initial post but it didn't sink in. With that understanding I figure that you'd put it right into a switch to have it network accessible by everything.

Is there other NTP devices like this that aren't packed into an SFP? It's really neat either way.
We just got a few of these at work:

They can lose GPS signal for up to 140 days and still keep accurate time. The model hasn't changed in 10+ years, they're rock solid. Also cost quite a bit more lol

A cheap alternative (and what I use at home) is a Raspberry Pi with one of these: Adafruit Ultimate GPS Breakout - 66 channel w/10 Hz updates

With that I get an average offset of ~200 nanoseconds. Lot of good information here: Building a Raspberry-Pi Stratum-1 NTP Server

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
I haven't been able to get mine to pick up any sats. From the base menu, there is an antenna issue (shown in the 'info' command):

Code:
Antenna:      missing
Alarm(s):
               Antenna not connected or with overcurrent
Same result with two different antennas that work with other u-Blox and the Adafruit modules without issue.

Anyone else have success? Is it possible to have it act as a NTP server without GNSS? The oscillator from the spec sheet is super stable, far more so than the Raspberry Pis I have hooked up to PPS outputs.

I've had it sitting for hours and now I do actually see a single SV, but guessing the antenna issue won't help things out.

Code:
ADVA:configure:clock:gnss:--> show status
configure clock gnss show status

Administrative Status : Up
Operational Status    : Down
Signal Quality        : degraded

Mode                  : gps
Antenna-delay         : 0

Tracking              : Freerun

Location Mode         : navigation
Minimum SNR           : 9 dBHz
Minimum Elevation     : 5 deg
Satellite Status:
------------------------------
   Num SNR Hlth Used Azim Elev
G  5   0    N   N     0    0
edit: also tried the forced-antenna-connected param with no success, both no (default) and with the command

nexox

May 3, 2023
I hooked up a cheap antenna and it immediately changed antenna status, took a while to pick up enough satellites but it did get a lock.

nexox

May 3, 2023
...except now mine has the same antenna not connected alarm and no satellite sync. All I did was try again to wrestle the unit out of my NIC.

nexox

May 3, 2023
And I wiggled the module / antenna connection a bit more and now the antenna shows connected again and it's starting to reacquire satellites.

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
I hooked up a cheap antenna and it immediately changed antenna status, took a while to pick up enough satellites but it did get a lock.
What antenna are you using? wonder if its a grounding issue or something that wiggling fixes

nexox

May 3, 2023
I got this one mostly because it arrived quickly: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07R7RC96G

I think the wiggling might help because between the wire pull handle, the adjacent DAC, and the placement of the back of my computer in a corner I can't easily work in, I, just can't get much torque on the SMA connector, plus the jack seems a bit loose in the module, maybe it's broken internally?

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
I got this one mostly because it arrived quickly: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07R7RC96G

I think the wiggling might help because between the wire pull handle, the adjacent DAC, and the placement of the back of my computer in a corner I can't easily work in, I, just can't get much torque on the SMA connector, plus the jack seems a bit loose in the module, maybe it's broken internally?
ok so a somewhat generic SMA GPS antenna, like the two I tested. need to try wiggling mine

Reactions: nexox

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
what version are you on? I apparently don't have NTP server available that's mentioned in the application note. running the tree command doesn't show anything NTP related.

Code:
ADVA--> show info
INFO:          OSA 5401
 SW version:   9.1.7-008
 HW version:   2.02
 Factory FPGA: 0x8E84C60D
 Applic1 FPGA: 0x00000000
 Applic2 FPGA: 0x8E84C60D Current image
 Clock state:  PTP - freerun/irrelevant
 RTC time:     1970-01-01 01:25:06
 Date and time:1970-01-01 01:25:06
 Timezone:     UTC+0
 management host
  ip-address : 10.98.1.199
  netmask    : 255.255.255.0
  default-gw : 10.98.1.1
  vlan-id    : 1
  vlan-pcp   : 7
  ip-priority: none
 Mac-address:  00-80-ea-d0-30-40
 Serial number: FA71194251722
 system
  telnet     : disabled
  tftp       : disabled
  ssh        : enabled
  scp        : enabled
  snmp       : enabled
  leds       : enabled
  syslog     : enabled
  radius     : disabled
  ne-name    : 7WDC209A_OSA_5401
 Antenna:      missing
 Alarm(s):
               Antenna not connected or with overcurrent

*** Running configuration has been changed and needs to be saved. ***
ADVA:show:--> back all

ADVA--> config clock
configure clock [ l2-profiles | l3-profiles | gnss | type | sj ]
ADVA:configure:clock:--> ntp

command is unknown !

ADVA:configure:clock:-->

nexox

May 3, 2023
I have the same version, also no NTP server to be found, I'm guessing that either got removed for the Nokia version or added in a later firmware.

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
well that kind of defeats the purpose of a super accurate GPS module in SFP form factor, at least for homelab purposes.

nexox

May 3, 2023
Yeah, I emailed their support contact to see if they would give me a better firmware, others may want to try as well. I'll end up using PTP to sync an NTP server in software if this is the only firmware we get.

Zombielinux

Jun 14, 2019
They do come up occasionally on ebay, though I looked for months after missing one and this was the first batch I found, which didn't even match my saved searches intended to find it, I just browse that seller's items occasionally to see what new stuff they have and I immediately recognized it.
What saved searches are you using? One or two of these would be a lifesaver for my quest for HA timing.