Supermicro X11-DPi-NT for $273 OBO. Shipping from CA extra.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nexox

May 3, 2023
I have occasionally been too annoyed with latency and handling of modifier keys in IPMI iKVM that I just plug in a real keyboard and use the iKVM as a display only. IPMI SOL console is where it's at.

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
I have occasionally been too annoyed with latency and handling of modifier keys in IPMI iKVM that I just plug in a real keyboard and use the iKVM as a display only. IPMI SOL console is where it's at.
Have done the same.

Reactions: nexox

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
Why are you guys connecting a monitor to this at all lol ... Just use IPMI?
Yesterday, I was sitting in front of the server because I was testing fan control. I don't want to do that remotely, as it's possible that the sensors don't match what is really happening. Plus, part of the goal was making the server quieter, so I need to be in the same room to listen.

Also, I have old Supermicro motherboards which use Java for display of the console, so I only use the IPMI interface for settings, not remote access.

nexox

May 3, 2023
Also, I have old Supermicro motherboards which use Java for display of the console, so I only use the IPMI interface for settings, not remote access.
That old Java thing is awful, and was even when those boards were brand new, but IPMI SOL still works fine for remote console access back to at least the X8/H8 generation.

Reactions: Sean Ho

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
These are still available, I guess Epyc is a lot more attractive platform.
Skylake are cheaper ways to get AVX-512. can only get AVX-512 with the latest genoa amd, which is still not cheap. for workload that uses AVX512 a lot, these older cpu are not that far off from epyc rome and is actually better in a lot of $/performance scenario. As long as you use AVX512

Reactions: izx

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
Yesterday, I was sitting in front of the server because I was testing fan control. I don't want to do that remotely, as it's possible that the sensors don't match what is really happening. Plus, part of the goal was making the server quieter, so I need to be in the same room to listen.

Of course it's fair to say if you need to be physically in front of the server it makes sense. With that said though you COULD still use IPMI even if you're right in front of it haha. I've done it exactly as @nexox said and used IPMI as my monitor with a connected USB keyboard lol

It would be nice to have a rack mount KVM but geez they are expensive.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I also run benchmarks like passmark when I play around or put together a system. not ideal to do that over IPMI since most benchmarks you need to have a discrete gfx card that's a bit better than aspeed.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
It would be nice to have a rack mount KVM but geez they are expensive.
As a one-time purchase, the actual KVM can be pretty cheap, especially used...it's the cables that cost a fortune, as they are often custom for not only that manufacturer, but that particular model.

Look for KVMs that use standard cable connections, and then buy them cheap on eBay. Cables can then be bought cheap at Temu. When my old 8-port IOGear VGA KVM died recently, I bought an 8-port TESmart HDMI KVM new, but I'd recommended the brand because all that I have seen use standard cables. The KVM came with "custom" cables, but all they a just USB-A to USB-B and HDMI male/male in a custom sheath for neatness...any USB or HDMI cables will work.

Sure, I then had to buy VGA-to-HDMI converters for my systems, but those were less than $10 each at Temu. I went with HDMI because I have a couple new mini systems that have HDMI out. My only regret is that I didn't go for 16 ports, as I have 8 systems right now, so I don't have a temporary connection available. It's $278 for the 8-port and $323 for 16: HDMI KVM switch 8 port 4K60Hz Autoscan, Rackmount, RS232 TESmart

Reactions: nexox

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I recently bought a cheap Chinese HDMI 4 port KVM switch from Amazon. i think it was like $49.00. It came with the cables and they're standard HDMI and USB cables. It works perfectly, in fact, i bought another. My previous KVM switch cost me almost $300 so this is truly a bargain. The only downside is the manual is in Chinese and thus useless but that's ok, it was easy enough to figure out. It even came with a remote control.

EDIT - I went back and checked. I bought it from eBay, not Amazon. And it was $45.99. Here it is if anyone is interested -

Last edited:

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I may add something cheap like that and daisy-chain it to one port of my existing KVM. I could connect all the systems with HDMI output there, and still have at least one for a temporary connection.

Reactions: Fritz

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
I had a cheap USB/HDMI KVM from Amazon. First one worked fine for a couple of days before the USB switch failed, I replaced it. Second one worked for about half a year, and the USB switch failed.

• Wow
Reactions: wildpig1234

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Amazing. OOS. I guess this was a good deal. Hope whoever wanted one got one.
Mine just got delivered today. will test it out later tonite.

Reactions: Fritz

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Also noticed that the last one was sold for $390 (compared to his price to me at $260 as the first buyer) ....lol . I guess the seller learned real fast about the interest for the MB at the price he was posting initially.

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024
Eastside of Westside Washington
Why are you guys connecting a monitor to this at all lol ... Just use IPMI? Quite the discussion in here haha.
In my case, I put in a 32 character password for the IPMI account. I saved it and logged out.

Turns out it only accepts 20 characters for passwords and I was locked out of IPMI (no OS installed yet either). I needed to reset the password via CLI (UEFI shell & USB stick FTW!), but first - I needed to see the screen.

For me, I had an old VGA/DVI monitor in my electronics lab. Just no VGA cable :mad:. Thankfully Amazon same-day did have a VGA.

I've thrown out probably 50 of those cables. Worst $5 of my life.

Reactions: wildpig1234