pcie sas card that works on UEFI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bigfellasdad

Apr 10, 2018
Well, today was a interesting, my asus z690m ITX card arrived, but.....it wont recognise my HP H240 sas card as it will only work in legacy BIOS mode.... and I need a GPU to allow that, but with one pci slot im shafted.. screw you ASUS!

So, I can just revert to SATA or find a card that will be recognised with UEFI enabled which would allow my 5x3.2tb SAS ssd's to be used. I know its not a huge amount of storage but its plenty for me.

So, which pcie 12g sas card can i use the does not require legacy bios to be enabled please?

many thanks

Andy

ps, running this under proxmox in a fractal 304 case and with an i5-14500 cpu.

nexox

May 3, 2023
Just to clarify, you want to boot off the SAS drives, right? If you have an NVMe or SATA drive for boot then the BIOS doesn't need to recognize the SAS HBA at all.

bigfellasdad

Apr 10, 2018
I'm booting off 1 of the nvme's, locked to uefi boot, the raidz1 sas was for vm and media, home dir etc. Backing up to an external gtech drive.

bigfellasdad

Apr 10, 2018
Sorry, to clarify the mobo takes ages to post with the h240 in, then finally boots but I don't see the card or disks. Apparently the card will only work in legacy bios mode, which my mobo will not allow unless a gpu card is used, not the igpu. Ridiculous asus!

nexox

May 3, 2023
Ah that's an odd one, mostly you only need UEFI compatibility in order to boot from a device, but HP does weird things sometimes because they really intended the controllers to only be used in their own systems. Is it on the latest firmware? I have an H241 that I didn't run with UEFI, but for which I did disable the legacy option ROM, and it worked fine.

In any case, it appears that the common LSI 9300-8i works on UEFI systems, and supports firmware update from the UEFI shell, if you're in the US they can be had for under $20 on ebay so it might not even be worth trying to update firmware on the H240.

bigfellasdad

Apr 10, 2018
Oh fabulous, thank you very much! I haven't updated the firmware in the last 12 months but if i remember the latest firmware is very old.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
In any case, it appears that the common LSI 9300-8i works on UEFI systems
It does, as I have one running right now. You can boot off of it, but I don't. You manage the boot drive in the motherboard setup.

Reactions: nexox