ICX-6610 and 6com 6c-sfp-10g-t

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cncjerry

Oct 16, 2021
I saw somewhere, maybe here, that the newer subject SFP might clock at 2.5G. Nope. I found it interesting though, that it had two options, 10G-Full or 1G-full-master. I was trying unsuccessfully to get that SFP to negotiate 2.5G. I was successful running it at 1G and plugging it into a 2.5G card and setting the speed in the card to 1G Full, also worked. I have other SFPs on order. I guess the SFP sets the available rates? The icx-6610 didn't permit any invalid rates to be configured.

Great site, lots of help, costs me a couple hundred dollars a month in power after coming here!

Cncjerry

Oct 16, 2021
just as I pressed enter, Amazon arrived with my nbase-t SFP. Plugged it in and it works at both 1G and 2.5G. Funny, because the ICX-6610 reports it as a 10G-full. The SFP I ordered was: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQBFHNL

I got free shipping so with tax, around $41. More than I wanted to pay. I could have put 10G in this PC for less had it the slots.

Again, all is well.

Jerry

Matta

Oct 16, 2022
So, what you're saying is that Brocade ICX6610 will happily work with this SFP+ module on 2.5gbit speed ? Maybe even 5gbit ?
If that's true, that's awesome. I have ICX6610 and I have lot of network points where I can only use 2.5gbit or 5gbit. I was thinking to putting Mikrotik CRS312-4C+8XG-RM just to get maximum speed on those spots, but that's extra money and extra power draw.
I have few Mikrotik S+RJ10 modules lying around but I never tested it with Brocade assuming it won't work. I'll give it a try in the morning.

Matta

Oct 16, 2022
I just tested ICX6610 and Mikrotik S+RJ10 on one side and HP EliteDesk MiniPC with 5Gb USB LAN adapter on other side.
LAN adapter shows 5gbit speed and Brocade shows 10gbit.
SMB single large file transfer from NAS to HP SSD is around 290MB/s, which is probably SSD limit.

It never occurred to me that it might actually work, I just went with the fact that Brocade doesn't have 2.5g/5g SFP+ speed.
I will try same thing with Zyxel XS3700 SFP+ ports and let you all know.

EDIT:
It works ! Zyxel is showing 10Gb speed while LAN adapter shows 5Gb. Transfer rate is the same.
Really interesting find, thanks for the idea Cncjerry !

Last edited:

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Old SFP+ devices only support 1G or 10G as those were the speeds available at the time. NBase-T is a lot newer.

While there are SFP+ modules that link up at 10G on the switch/NIC side and lower speeds at the other side, only the ones based on Aquantia chips seem to work properly with bidirectional traffic. This has been discussed many times before, including here recently. :)

Cncjerry

Oct 16, 2021
I would test it with iperf3. The card in the PC displays as 2.5G but I am getting almost exactly 1Gbit (999Mbits) for some reason each direction. This is faster than the 1G card I had in there (~800Mbit). It could be this ancient PC. And by the way, I looked around and didn't see the thread blunden mentioned though I had seen mention of the aquantia chipset other places.

Cncjerry

Oct 16, 2021
The 2.5g link connects and works fine with balanced throughput in both directions right at 99xMbit. So something is limiting the throughput on this port to 1Gig. I notice there are speed definitions on the 'speed-duplex' command that should enable the port(?) to the proper speed, but they aren't valid for the port. Maybe it is my software level, ver 08.0.30tT7f3 but the manual I have is 8.0.30. thoughts? Try another SFP?

Again, this one links perfectly but the throughput is only 998Mb, sometimes 999Mb. The PC with the 2.5G card runs at less than 10%, I've tried some iperf3 options without luck. I was thinking of purchasing another SFP.

Thanks