Cooler recommendations for 400W SP5?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

coolerdonk

Mar 7, 2024
Hi all,

I am planning a single node build with a 9654, and future proofing for a 9754. I have not yet chosen a chassis, but I believe I have settled on a H13SSL-N.

I can't find good cooling benchmarks online, so here I am. Any recommendations for how to cool a 400W SP5 CPU properly? I do anticipate maxing out the CPU from time to time with highly parallel scientific workloads, so I don't want to be thermal throttled. I'd like to avoid water cooling if I can, anything quiet is a bonus.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
supermicro has a few options listed for sp5:
a 4u "tower" heatsink with a 5k rpm fan
a 2u heatsink with a 10k rpm fan
a 1u passive heatsink (relies on multiple chassis fans with high static pressure)

Reactions: gb00s

coolerdonk

Mar 7, 2024
"avoid water cooling"
"anything quiet"
imho no way in a case, but i say "good luck !"
Definitely not committed to a case, or to either of those preferences if it doesn't"t work out. Main thing keeping me away from the alpha cool AiO is actually $$, I'd ideally like to keep the cooling solution to a $100.

Last edited:

coolerdonk

Mar 7, 2024
supermicro has a few options listed for sp5:
a 4u "tower" heatsink with a 5k rpm fan
a 2u heatsink with a 10k rpm fan
a 1u passive heatsink (relies on multiple chassis fans with high static pressure)
Any idea if that 4u tower will actually cool the CPU?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Yes, but how good/effective will depend on the chassis airflow through it and the ambient temperature.

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
Any idea if that 4u tower will actually cool the CPU?
I would be targeting a cooler that has at least 6 pipes for the contact plate.
I would upgrade the fans as well to make sure they're not the cheap shipped with option.
I wouldn't rely on the paste they ship with either. I use Graphite pads instead on my systems due to a better temp curve and you can move the cooler as much as you want w/o having to clean things up in between and spend more money on pastes each time.

As @i386 eluded to it there's plenty of variables to consider in the overall performance of your build.

If you want quiet then you need big fans to move more volume at lower speeds or a complete mesh case for more passive cooling. However, the mesh idea might not focus enough cool air across the fins and push the exhaust out the back. There are some funky options out there for high volume cases but, if you want something that blends in a bit look at the FD Torrent. It has dual 180mm fans in the front.

Keeping the cooler under $100 shouldn't be an issue though. If you look at the basics listed above you should be able to nail something down even if it's on a secondhand site. I just used google and found a bunch of options "sp5 cooler". The taller the cooler you find the more likely you can fit some standard sized fans onto it and thus make it quieter than the forced induction smaller high RPM style. This all comes down to if you can use a normal case or need to mount it in a rack though.

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
If you're looking for air, quiet, and available off the shelf right now your choice is easy: buy this and hope it works, because there are no other options. Otherwise, the big Arctic Freezer claims 350W with 2300 rpm fans, and extrapolating that does seem plausible (the dual tower Thermalrights can do almost 300W with lower-pressure fans, and enterprise processors have much lower thermal density than consumer ones). It probably requires external case airflow to work though.

coolerdonk

Mar 7, 2024
I would be targeting a cooler that has at least 6 pipes for the contact plate.
I would upgrade the fans as well to make sure they're not the cheap shipped with option.
I wouldn't rely on the paste they ship with either. I use Graphite pads instead on my systems due to a better temp curve and you can move the cooler as much as you want w/o having to clean things up in between and spend more money on pastes each time.

As @i386 eluded to it there's plenty of variables to consider in the overall performance of your build.

If you want quiet then you need big fans to move more volume at lower speeds or a complete mesh case for more passive cooling. However, the mesh idea might not focus enough cool air across the fins and push the exhaust out the back. There are some funky options out there for high volume cases but, if you want something that blends in a bit look at the FD Torrent. It has dual 180mm fans in the front.

Keeping the cooler under $100 shouldn't be an issue though. If you look at the basics listed above you should be able to nail something down even if it's on a secondhand site. I just used google and found a bunch of options "sp5 cooler". The taller the cooler you find the more likely you can fit some standard sized fans onto it and thus make it quieter than the forced induction smaller high RPM style. This all comes down to if you can use a normal case or need to mount it in a rack though.
Thank you for that case recommendation, I'm currently unsure if I'll be going for a case or rack but the FD Torrent looks like a good option. I think my current favorite is probably just going to be a Supermicro SNK-P0084AP4. Then if I go with a rack, whatever U version is suitable.

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
Didn't find anything beyond 6 heat pipes on aliexpress, is there one you're thinking of?
I just mentioned 6 because there are so many that have less. I've only seen a couple that have more for other CPUs.

Errrrr.... I guess @RolloZ170 mentioned it but we're on the same wavelength.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I just mentioned 6 because there are so many that have less. I've only seen a couple that have more for other CPUs.
5 8mm or 6 6mm or whatever, more HPs must not be better.
i recommend a FAN with higher minimum RPM. that prevents the cooler from heat retention,
on short high loads the FAN doesn't spin up. at lower RPM FANs they start to late and must run on higher RPMs for longer time.

Reactions: coolerdonk

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
i recommend a FAN with higher minimum RPM. that prevents the cooler from heat retention,
on short high loads the FAN doesn't spin up. at lower RPM FANs they start to late and must run on higher RPMs for longer time.
It depends on the objective but, if the OP is doing sustained workloads it won't really matter as both should run full tilt anyway while the temp is up. They key is whether or not it's more efficient and quiet when not engaged or if that's an objective.

There's a couple of aspects to cooling though... If you have a case that doesn't breathe well it won't matter which fans or cooler you use if it's an oven to begin with. If you have too open of a case then it's hard to direct the cooler air to where it needs to be focused which reduces the cooler efficiency as well. Or you have good airflow / directionality but bad contact with the cooler/CPU or the paste isn't good and results in an insulation effect vs conductivity.

Reactions: coolerdonk