Looking for feedback on what models of "older" Dell PowerEdge servers people use powered Tesla GPUs in

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jun 9, 2023
USA
www.youtube.com
I have been making some custom GPU power cables to use in 12th and 13th gen Dell servers for a bit now. I am trying to dial in a final design though. I am curious to see what models of servers people are running powered NVIDIA Tesla cards in. From experience most of the people I have worked with are running cards like the Tesla M40/P40/P100 in PowerEdge R720/R730 series servers. I have also verified compatibility with the PowerEdge T420 (w/redundant PSU) and R520 (Dual CPU w/ redundant PSU config). Other models I need to verify that I suspect they will work with are R530, T320 (w/ redundant PSU), T620, T630, T640. The other 14th gen models use a different connector than what I am using.

The biggest reason I would need to know about alternate models is it will determine the final length of the cable. The R520 and the T6x0 series towers would need a longer cable to reach. I can make multiple lengths but that makes things trickier for me.

My question would be is anyone running powered NVIDIA Tesla GPUs in their 12th/13th gen Dell servers that are not the R720 or R730?

Thanks @Patrick for giving me permission to get more insight to what other models people are using Tesla GPUs in.

Reactions: Patrick

jabuzzard

Mar 22, 2021
I have at work Dell R730's with NVIDIA V100 cards in. One day when someone stops giving me other tasks they are for a JuypterHub cluster. Note that you have to change the PCI slot covers to solid ones if you fit GPU's as per the Dell documentation. I can also confirm that they work the NVIDIA A100 40GB cards, though the support brackets will need an extra hole drilling in them because NVIDIA for no reason changed the holes. You can even have an A100 40GB and a P100 16GB in the same R730 server and it works.

Jun 9, 2023
USA
www.youtube.com
I have at work Dell R730's with NVIDIA V100 cards in. One day when someone stops giving me other tasks they are for a JuypterHub cluster. Note that you have to change the PCI slot covers to solid ones if you fit GPU's as per the Dell documentation. I can also confirm that they work the NVIDIA A100 40GB cards, though the support brackets will need an extra hole drilling in them because NVIDIA for no reason changed the holes. You can even have an A100 40GB and a P100 16GB in the same R730 server and it works.
It's cool that people are using newer cards in the servers. I had a customer that is using an RTX 6000 in their server. I should probably read the R730 manual. Since the R720 and R730 are basically the same layout I didn't think there would be a difference in configuration requirements. Also my personal Tesla cards didn't come with the support brackets so they are just hanging in the breeze. ;)

I'm guessing I won't see too many people running other models of servers since the install requirements can be more difficult.